San Francisco pre T video OT but old cars

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: San Francisco pre T video OT but old cars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

This is a neat video showing driving down Market Street before the fire in San Francisco. It says 1900 but I think more like 04-06 era ??? Anyone see any Pre T Fords ... Im not familiar with them enough to recognize any. Looks dangerous to me ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJfTa5SjDCY#t=493.4710233

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

This is in 1906. It's shot from the front of a cable car. If I remember correctly, it's just a month or so before the quake. You know it's a breezy day when you get to the front of the ferry building and see one old gentleman's beard blowing about in the wind. There are several copies of this on Youtube. The best is the one with very good sound effects instead of unfortunate music.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Here is the one with sound

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q5Nur642BU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Ed and Steve. Yes I like the one with sound better. It just seems to me that this video is probably close to what it really was like in a big city back then ... Thanks ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:20 am:

My dad's father emigrated from Italy to the USA arriving in San Francisco in 1913. His two older brothers were already there working, he told me, for Standard Oil making tanker trucks. He went to work with his brothers. According to the story, the trucks they built were the first of their kind on the west coast.

In all the stories of his early days in San Francisco, the Ferry Building was a prominent feature. When he'd try to explain where something was located, it almost always was "two blocks from the Ferry Building" or, "just past the Ferry Building".

It would be very interesting to find a few photos of the area in the video taken a little later, in the 1913-15 time frame, when he was there. I imagine it would look very similar to the video, but less horses and more cars.

Thanks for posting this. It's very interesting to me.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration