How to id. two piece valves

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How to id. two piece valves
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

I have a rebuilt motor done some time ago and not sure what has been done, it does run but I'm sure it can be better (I hope) any how with the plugs out I see valves that have the two dimples in the top, are these two piece?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

You will have to remove them to know for sure.Unless there is some fibre optic thing you can look in there with. And there is, I just don't know how to tell you what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, November 28, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

Can you remove the manifolds and look inside or feel with your finger? There should be a lip with the two piece valve. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:03 am:

With either the head or the manifolds off, you can see if they are 2-piece. No need to remove the valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Look through the manifold ports. Here is a picture. You can see where the valve head attaches to the stem. You can also see how the head can break. I found the pieces in my muffler. Glad it was an exhaust valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:32 am:

You can pull the spark plug and shine a flashlight and contort yourself and see if there's the infamous "two dots" to see if it's a two piece valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:54 am:

You can also see the stem swaged to the valve head if it is clean enough.

Replacement one piece valve on the left, original 2 piece on the right:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 10:49 am:

The original Ford valves say Ford on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

The Ford logo that Larry mentions is on the underside of the valve head. Really hard to see when covered over with carbon however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

The two "dots" are holes for the valve lapping tool to fit. Not all valves with the holes are two piece valves. For example Model A Ford exhaust valves are one piece and made of stellite. They can be cut down to fit Model T with a bit of work on the lathe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Thank you Royce, I do have some valves with the small holes in the face you say were for lapping but not necessarily indicating a two piece valve, I'll check this before putting much more time on the motor, I never want to find what Corey pictured!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration