1915 Floor Boards. What do I need to attach?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1915 Floor Boards. What do I need to attach?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 11:33 am:

Presume I need some parts, and need to get a handle on the nomenclature so I know what I'm looking for.
I have 1915 frame with 26/27 motor and hogshead. The set of floorboards I have from a vendor are not correct and will need to be revised to fit the spacing on the low/high pedal. The starter switch and ebrake holes line up. Three pieces. Beveled and grooved where needed.

But when I lay them on the frame, I'm just not getting how they attach to the frame or to each other. No holes in the boards for this and not many holes left over in the frame. And, I've got bolt heads on the starter switch and the running board brackets, so It appears that some sort of spacers or brackets that raise the boards above the frame rails are needed. Wood firewall has no brackets on it for this front board.

Please point me in the right direction as to what I need to complete these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil C Bartlett, Shively CA on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Robert,they attach to the body. Since you are planning a non Ford body you will have to fabricate your own floorboard risers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

The rearmost floor board attaches to the body sills with four flat head steel countersunk #10 wood screws. The others just lay there.

1924 and earlier T's have the pedals spaced differently than 1926 - 27. The vendor supplied the boards to fit the 1915 engine, not your later engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

OK, so what I'm hearing is that when I create my wooden body, I need to run some sort of wooden rails over the frame rails and connect them to the wooden firewall, which I can do. Dloorboards than screw down to my wooden frame. Adjust openings for pedals.

The two panels appear to lay flat and the third panel seems to rise up towards the wood dash and follows the slope of the hogshead. Would this panel just screw into the wood dash? Or was there some sort of angle bracket on the metal body that I need to replicate out of wood?

I know II'm kinda doing my own thing here, but I want to be as close as possible to what would have been done in the era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

So I'm visualizing running a side board along the top of the fram and putting a wooden rail on the inside of the side boards and maybe even the front wooden firewall and than attaching my floorboards wo this rail system with screws.

So I'll set the floorboards aside until I get the body built, but keep their installation in mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Robert,
For your pedals to clear the floorboards, and to make life easier on you, go measure someone's T in the area of the floorboards. Note how the wooden body rails mount to the frame. As much as possible, duplicate those dimensions. This will make mounting your body easier, and servicing the transmission too. You might want to also measure how the far up and back the seats are to have the right distances from the pedals, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:43 am:

If you want the pedal plates to look like the originals, only with the 26-7 spacing, you will have to find some metal stock of the proper thickness, and then find someone with a 26 or 27, and measure their plates. Then cut them out so they will match the original style, only with the new spacing. The hand brake should be the same.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration