Head off - clean up piston heads and valves?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Head off - clean up piston heads and valves?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

Before putting the head back on, I wonder if I should take advantage of this opportunity to clear out some of the carbon and staining happening on my piston heads, valves, block and head. I've included a photo of each of the cylinders. If it's recommended that I do clean things up, what cleaners, solvents, brushes, scrapers are recommended. And what do i need to be careful NOT to do.

I was told to run a 1/4" drill into the oil ports (I think these are oil, but could be water. The first photo is one that appears clean. But the others have a clear blockage. Thoughts on the drill method for clearing them up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

If it was my engine, I'd make it "hospital clean" whilst the opportunity was there ! Yes, drill out the small WATER passages along with utilizing a bottom tap to clean & chase the threads in each head bolt hole.

Royce is doing the same exercise to one of his engines now - might follow that thread as it's just what you're doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

I agree with Steve, particularly the part about cleaning out the head bolt holes. I found it helpful, once o got the crud loosened, to hold the running shop vac nozzle over the holes (one at a time) and blow an aerosol can of air (computer keyboard cleaner can with tube to direct flow) into it. This procedure see led to clean the holes out pretty well and prevent getting crud everywhere you don't want it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

..., once I got the crud loosened,...

This procedure seemed to clean the holes...

Anybody out there have a proof reading service? Dang....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration