Fragile body sheet metal ... what to do?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fragile body sheet metal ... what to do?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Ok .. so I have an area in the runabout body that is rusty, paper thin and currently has a hole. So, how does one fortify the thin areas from behind and fill in the hole. Bondo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

I've brighten up the metal from the inside and fiberglassed it where needed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill Crosby Webster, NY on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

Mark, Make a new panel and cut the bad area out and replace with the new panel. If you can bring me the old area as a pattern I can make you a new one.

Noooooooooooooo Bondoooooooooo please.

call me and we can talk about your options.

Bill 585-671-5959

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

I have done the same as Will. I have also made a doubler and bonded it to the inside.

Bondo is for pretty only, it has no strength.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

Bill, I think Mark wants to keep the original patina. Putting a new panel is more work than necessary especially if he wants to keep that old Model T look. This is before I cleaned it up and made it pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Cut and weld in a new piece if possible, or you can back it with brass and weld the hole in with a mig. Go slow and don't use too much heat. The weld will fill in the void.

https://youtu.be/zsFk9rDBY4U?t=3m30s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Ha ... hey Bill, I knew if I wiggled that spiders web you would come out. Sure I would love solid sheet metal there. Some interesting subtle curves ... wouldn't be so easy. I imagine it might be beyond my means ... but will give you a call and we can talk about it. My budget goes to engine work first this winter ... then that sheet metal problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 12:54 am:

I have used POR-15 and glass cloth. Works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

There is a right way and a whole lot of WRONG ways to do anything. Bondo
and fiberglass are all just lazy, sloppy ways of putting off doing it the right way.
Sounds like you have one offer already to make a panel.

Model T guys have a tradition of being cheapskates. There IS a difference between
doing something inexpensively and being a cheapskate.

Your choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

Mark,
I thoroughly looked this car over in October 2015, and the Coupe behind it. Which I found someone in our area to buy the Coupe. The Roadster is very straight and likely a low mileage car. It had an interesting story behind it. The damage that you are talking about was a result of a huge mouse nest. The metal in that area is very thin. Before you make a determination on how to fix it, I would very gently bead blast the whole area, just dusting it as you are doing it, until the rust is gone and see what you have left.
I posted these pictures before

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Considering you want to keep the patina, and it's easy to see why, perhaps in this instance the por 15 or even J B Weld and fiberglass might be the way to go (after neutralizing the rust. If you go the blast way, I would put gaffer's tape on the outside first to give the metal some backing. Yes, you take the tape off afterwards!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

New metal will patina much better than fiberglass and bondo !!!

.... and it won't cause further rust, bubbling, or just fall off like plastic will.

Fix it right, let it rust, all is right in the world. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

Cut out the rusted out piece, braze in a new piece or use a wire feeder if you have one. Clean up the affected area as good as possible then use bondo to do any leveling up as necessary.

Yes its OK to use a little bondo here and there. I cant understand what the big deal is about using it for some folks.
The issue with bondo may be that its not mixed or applied properly. That's a problem with the user and not the product.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration