Brake drum rivets loose

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brake drum rivets loose
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

The rivets holding the extension to the cast brake drum in my '27 transmission are a little loose. Can I pound them down or do they have to be replaced? Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

They need to be replaced. Your life might depend on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

Absolutely agree. Pounding them tight will only hold for a while. I speak from experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Sounds like you are talking about the drive plate.

Loose rivets in the drive plate is a symptom of a misaligned "fourth main"/ball cap. This causes the shaft to flex where it is riveted to the plate.

This misalignment can happen over time (such as bending of the crankcase) or due to not properly aligning the cap during an overhaul or rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 09:48 am:

I've replaced several brake drums due to cracks, including this '27 drum. Someone had machined the diameter down which weakened the drum so it cracked shortly there after. This was with old style Scandinavia cotton bands, not Kevlar.

It is a lot of work to pull the engine and tear it apart just to replace a cracked drum. By the time you rivet the drum to the hub, face off the rivets on the lathe, clean everything in the parts washer and then start assembling the transmission again you will wonder why in the heck you didn't just buy a new drum.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration