Mobil Synthetic 0-20W Motor Oil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Mobil Synthetic 0-20W Motor Oil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Has anyone tried this Mobil Synthetic 0-20W Motor Oil in their Model T engine?

It will make cranking real easy in the cold winter weather, if nothing else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

I tried a 0W30 Mobil 1 synthetic. The clutch slipped a lot so I ended up changing back to a 5w30 conventional oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

I use 5W-30 during the winter months and 10W -30 during the summer, both conventional oil, the kind from dead dinosaurs. Two of my cars are hand crank only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

I use 5 W 20 synthetic in both my quite stock T's. No issues. Stock Ford clutch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

0-20w and 5-20w oil, both are the same when hot ,they are both 20w. I can't understand why Royce thinks they would be different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

A big difference Arnold, synthetic oils are full of fiction modifiers, the dino oil worked better on the clutch pack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

I think this would be good for starting in winter....Brad Penn Oil 0W30 Motor Oil 1 qt Case Of 12 P/N 009-7126....

The idea is to cause the multi-grade oil to have the viscosity of the base grade when cold and the viscosity of the second grade when hot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 11:53 pm:

I use 10W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic for over 15 yrs. with 400 clutch disks and no slipping. No shims removed from bearings....no issues. Wall Mart seems to have the best price on engine oils that I have found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 12:00 am:

I began using Mobil 1 with our 13 years ago. I noticed in the winter, I no longer had to jack up the rear end in order to crank start at 15 and less degrees. I thought, let's see, less friction starting cold. And I want less friction. I've used it ever since in all our cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 12:00 am:

I use 0-20W Mobil 1. Works great for me. Been doing it for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 07:16 am:

Not all synthetic oils have friction modifiers. Just look for one that is "wet clutch compatible". There are a number of good 0W-30 and 0W-40 grades of synthetic oil out there right now that are certified for some pretty demanding applications. I am sure they would be fine for Model T. For me, winter driving is just not practical since I have an open car and the roads are caked with salt around here. However, I do run a 10W-40 synthetic during those months the car is on the road and have been pleased with it. No clutch or band slipping issues at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:27 am:

Frank hit upon a signifigant fact.... friction modifiers. Mobil 1 Motorcycle 4 stroke oil does not have friction modifiers..... Most motorcycles are similar to the Model T engine in fact that both use the same oil for engine lubrication and transmission lubrication.

Have used Mobil 1 Motorcycle for years without any problems.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

I tried a few and like Mobil 1 0W-40. My car is hand crank and the 0W sure made starting easier and the car doesn't creep after starting cold, and the clutches don't slip.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 12:14 am:

To keep the clutch from slipping use a synthetic that is for motorcycles with wet clutches. But the car really doesn't need syntec. Even the cheapest walmart jug is 20 times better than back in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:13 am:

Autozone

Best place to buy oil & most auto parts

Most locations will price match other local stores - some even Walmart - on oil

Autozone rewards card gets 1 punch for every $20 minimum purchase - 5 punches gets you $20 credit for store purchases

I buy Mobil 05 - 40 W Turbo Diesel Synthetic oil for my F350 Dually 7.3 PSD there

I change my oil & filter in the parking lot - return the oil to the store

I buy 4 gallon jugs - 1 every 10 minutes or so for the $5 reward to load - so I get an instant $5 a gallon discount

Not easy being a pollack ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

I use Wal-Mart super tech 5w 30 in both model T s and both A models. Cheap and I have had no issues using this brand for about 20 years. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration