How do you adjust high gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How do you adjust high gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Curtis on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

How do you adjust high gear to keep it from slipping? in advance thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

The procedure is called out in the Model T service manual, if you don't have one, you need to get one!

http://www.dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

In the meantime, an overview of the procedure is in this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/76729.html?1230377580

You want to adjust the clutch fingers just tight enough to stop the slipping, no further. Be sure to adjust each of the three fingers the same amount.

After the adjustment, you may find it beneficial to check the rest of your linkage:

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

I don't think Donald is asking about band adjustment. It sounds more like he wants to know how to adjust the clutch to keep it from slipping, which it must be doing in high gear.

It's been a long time since I adjusted mine. If I remember correctly, just remove the transmission cover, locate the three screws behind the clutch (all the way to the rear), remove the cotter pins and tighten each screw 1/2 turn, then replace the cotter pins being VERY CAREFUL to not drop them into the pan.

I may be a little off on this procedure, so others please correct me so Donald gets good information. I suffer from intermittent CRS! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

While addressing the above question, I have one of my own. A friend who has a Model T has a very stiff low pedal. In fact it is hard to drive it because it wants to pop right into high with a jolt. The spring feels like it is way too strong. Is there a way to adjust this to work like my three Model T's without either replacing the spring or making it slip?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Henry, I don't think he's asking about band adjustment either, which is why I directed him to an earlier thread on high clutch adjustment FIRST.

After he finishes adjusting his clutch per the earlier thread, THEN I suggested that he may want to check his other linkage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Curtis on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Thanks To All above. for your help I have taken your advice and ordered the service and transmission manuals from Lang's. my printer is now printing out the 47 pages of the http://mtfca.com/books/21manual.htm
from the http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/76729.html?1230377580
mentioned above dated 12/25/2008 the amount of information available for model T Fords from this web site is (so good I do not know what word or words to use) again thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 07:53 am:

I would ask if it begins slipping after it has already been engaged and then, say, you start up hill, or give it sudden burst of power (Now THAT's funny:-)), or is it slipping when you shift? There are a lot of T's that will drive just fine in high gear, if shifted carefully, but will slip when shifting if it is NOT done carefully (Or dare I say "Correctly"). Most probably have weak springs, but it requires major surgery to replace one. You might gain a little by tightening the clutch fingers, but kinda like water pumps are a mask for a bad radiator, tightening the clutch fingers is just a mask for a weak spring. If it is slipping when shifting but not any other time, careful shifting, by letting off the clutch only part way (Into neutral), closing the throttle, and letting the engine rpm fall, letting the clutch out the rest of the way, THEN opening the throttle back up, will allow the tranny to go into high gear with no slipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Curtis on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

It only slips going up a fairly steep hill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

In that case, I would try to tighten the clutch fingers. It's certainly worth a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Try tightening each one a half turn, then drive the car again to see if the slipping has stopped. If not,try another half turn per finger. Be sure not to drop anything in the transmission, or you'll be going on an unplanned fishing expedition!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration