Help with some dimensions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help with some dimensions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

As you can see in the pic, there are letters at each point.
I need help from anyone who has the real deal, not a repo.
Looking to finish the drawing to the correct size.
What I need is the following measurements:

A-B
C-D
A-D
C-B
C-E
D-E
A-E AND E-B

I got this CAD file from a fellow member here and am working on furnishing it up to represent it full size and with the most correct information I can get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Jerome, I think it depends on the size you want it to be. Looking at old photos, it could be a small emblem on a door, or a monster spreading across a 20 foot store front. At the Henry Ford (Greenfield Village) they have one about 20 feet long on the fence outside the Model T ride depot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

I would think (danger, Will Robinson!) that C-D, D-E, E-C would be identical measurements.
Of course this begs the question, was the aspect ratio kept when making smaller or larger versions?
I would think it often got stretched to fit on building walls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

This one is in the 3 foot area. What I am looking for is the dimensions from one sign then another, they can be different sizes as I will look to "size" them, by that I mean I will use math and come up with ratio's and check that my drawing is/has the right look to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 12:05 am:

The problem I've seen with the repros of years past, was the blue color. It wasn't dark enough!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 01:13 am:

Looking to use a laser cuter to make some for myself but want it the right proportions. The blue on this is from a printer almost out of ink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 05:32 am:

David, if the measurements of the triangle sides are all the same, the angles will all be 60 degrees. The apex angle looks bigger to me, indicating that CD is longer.I have an original enamel sign that I will measure in the morning.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Thanks, Allan, looking forward to what you find. J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 10:08 am:

If you want that sign to be totally correct, the Ford script needs to be modified. The style in the above example is more like what they used in the Model A era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

I can tell you know there are no set dimensions on that logo...only proportions. Like with Century 21's logo, they don't give sizes in inches they give it ratios...the "C" is 5 times as large as the "21", the "e" is one half the size of the "C" and so forth. They do it this way because like Thomas was saying, corporate has no idea what the bloody hell you're intending to do with it or put it on, so they give you the proportions instead.

As for the color, my guess it's somewhere in PMS 300 range and not the "Process Blue" (PMS 256) you've got there...300 is a more saturate blue than process is. But that's only a guess on my part...haven't researched it, so don't take it as gospel. Usually though there is also a "Black Standard" as well...where the logo can be displayed on a building or in print (mostly in print) in black also and still be with the guidelines of corporate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Allen,
I was thinking that was an optical illusion caused by the angle of the sign, but you're right, the top angle looks much "wider" than the two bottom corner angles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

Jerome,
Here is what I found when measuring an original sign purloined in a New Year's Eve stunt in 1964, not by me I might add. It was nailed to a gum tree on the side of a road near a country Ford dealership which had closed some years before.

AB 755mm
CD 538mm
AD 600mm
CB 600mm
CE 400mm
DE 400mm
AE 375mm
EB 375mm

Additionally, from E the cut out to the wings is 55mm on the triangle and 15mm return to the wing top.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

P.S. If you need a metric tape measure, they were giving them away at the MOM-and-POP hardware store in Chickasha in 2010, as nobody would buy them!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration