E Timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: E Timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 03:49 am:

Any rumors about when they may be available again? Everything I've read & heard about them is good - except you can't get one now. I did put my name on the waiting list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 07:11 am:

Maybe you could send an email or call the guy that makes them. I would probably start there first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:34 am:

Frank, I'll put the rumors to rest by confirming E-Timer demand has grown to warrant another production run. They should be available starting in February just in time for the 2017 US touring season.

This run will be housed in a high quality black roller timer reproduction housing made to Ford specifications. Performance and features are the same as the previous batch.

More information about the E-Timer is available on the website at: www.modeltetimer.com or as James suggested, specific questions can be asked directly via email to: mictel@comcast.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

YEAH!!!!!! That is the Greatest News of the Day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

Mike:

Can I gather that the e-timer doesn't use the magneto?

"Simple battery operation eliminates all magneto variables and ignition timing restrictions"

My car run OK on battery, but superbly on mag. It is a night/day difference. Will the e-timer improve mag performance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

The E-timer is purely a DC or battery operated device.

It will make a Model T with a bad Magneto run great again.

I still have a new one in the box that I bought for a deceased club member, if anyone needs one right away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Jim,

I've switched back and forth a few times on my '26 coupe. Using an Anderson timer with a good set of coils running on mag the car runs real nice. Swap in the E-Timer and shorted coils and it runs just as well or a bit better on the battery. If you have a car with a strong mag, a good timer, and properly tuned coils, I don't see a great performance advantage to the E-Timer. The E-Timer helps if your mag, timer or coils are marginal and the car certainly runs much better on the E-Timer than running standard coils and timer on 6 volts.

I'm a happy customer of the E-Timer but have no other connection with the product or manufacturer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

When I added the etimer to my coupe the most noticeable difference was the smoothness of the motor. It was night and day....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

I have to agree with Tony. The thing I noticed on the first drive was that the engine was darn near impossible to kill when taking off. I did kill it once in many miles but that when I was showing off to another T guy. Walt, I have a good Mag done by John R. and Coilman had just done my coils. My top speed and hill climbing was much better.
I do have to admit that my timer had lots of miles so a new timer would have also made an improvement.

I do not remember when I last touched the timer. I think my seal is doing ok?

James, do you have a price you would like to get?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Great to know there's going to be another production run. I wouldn't be without one on my car.
There's no doubt a good mechanical timer and rebuilt properly adjusted coils work very well and are very reliable. The trouble is that a mechanical timer wears because of the contacts moving against each other which eventually results in contact bounce, and can also result in a change in cylinder to cylinder timing. This becomes more noticeable at lower revs where the inertia of the flywheel can't mask the erratic timing as effectively.
The E-Timer eliminates these limitations. As well, it has the advantage of being able to take over the points/capacitor function of the coils. Although I don't use mine that way, it's an obvious advantage for those who don't have coil adjusting facilities or don't wish to replace the capacitors - the coils will run at peak efficiency regardless. Then there's the automatic timing feature which can be enabled or disabled according to the driver's preference. That really does work well and gives extra hill climbing in top gear.
Put simply, the car just drives better with it, with a noticeably smoother low end torque. I'm sure the bearings are happier too with consistent cylinder to cylinder timing. It certainly sounds smoother. The best thing is knowing it will stay that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:54 am:

Great news !! Better than sliced bread !!! Would make a thoughtful Holiday present for someone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 07:28 am:

I tried a loaner once for a short while. I know this sounds crazy, but I swear I think my paint looked shinier and it leaked less oil while I was running it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 07:30 am:

That is so thoughtful of you Bob! I'll send you my address so you know where to send my present.

Now I can't wait for Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 08:04 am:

E-Timer vs distributor...which is a better choice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 08:05 am:

Stupid question - so do you need to install a Gen/Alt to recharge the battery?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 08:40 am:

John: Generator will recharge the battery. Not stupid at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 09:00 am:

Jerry, I would think the E-Timer would be the better choice, less moving parts maybe, plus the aesthetics, I would think if you never told anyone that an E-timer was there, they'd not know the difference from the stock look. Just a thought.

John, while a Gen. wouldn't hurt, I suspect you could still run an E-timer without it, as do a lot of people with tru-fire. You'd just have to charge the battery maybe weekly or so, depending on how often you drive. Personally, on a non-elec. car, I'd set it up with leads from the battery to be able to hook up to a trickle charger and just plug it in every time you came back from a drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 09:06 am:

The E-Timer would be a good choice. 1) it looks stock, 2)IF you have trouble, you can change it back to stock timer in a very short time, 3) it has the automatic timing advance built in.

I have one on my car and agree with all of the above mentioned comments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 10:49 am:

John S - for a pre '19 car you can install a charger that uses power from the magneto to keep a battery charged for the ignition: http://www.funprojects.com/products/hsbck1.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:04 am:

John S.,

Even if you were to run coils on battery only, you could run for several days without recharging, assuming you weren't also using lights. My understanding is that the E-Timer uses even less power than "battery/coils" so I don't think you'd have a problem with a fully charged battery and several days of use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:27 am:

I guess I shouldn't be concerned if I forget to switch to mag after 10 minutes. That's when I notice that the car isn't running it's best. Runs way better on mag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Actually, the Fun Projects voltage regulator charges more quickly than the original cut out and with a fuller charge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Jim K.,

Only when you have a car with a generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

John, Don't know if you got the right answer to add a Gen/Alt... No you don't need to add a generator. Just use the output from the Mag to recharge your battery with a simple home built regulator.

On the other hand.... OTOH you could just use a little 9 Volt transistor battery for a run to the store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

My E-timer has been sold.

Demand was brisk and I could have sold several more.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration