Old Photo - Young Men Posing In Slush With A Winter Fronted Coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Young Men Posing In Slush With A Winter Fronted Coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Here's a link to the accessory of the day post on the fender braces you see on this cars front fender.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/196810.html?1307148330

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:11 am:

It looks like there are rectangles done with tape on the drivers door window and the windshield. What do you suppose they were for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:25 am:

They did that so it would not frost up. They would tape some sort of clear material to the window. It was still common to do yet in the 60's on old cars with poor defrosters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:33 am:

No kidding? That's new information for me. Where I grew up we didn't have such cold winter weather, so I guess that's why I've never heard of it.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Hi Henry,

I do not know for sure what those rectangles are, but having driven an enclosed car with no defroster in cold weather I suspect they may provide an area of free vision.

I may have to experiment with that idea..... And those radiator covers Do help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 11:17 am:

The ones I saw as a kid back in the 60's and early 70's were aftermarket accessories. They were more oval shaped with adhesive tape on the edge. Saw them a lot on VW bugs. Maybe some one can post a picture of that accessories version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

My question is how long would it take to put those boots on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Philip I'd guess both men were motorcycle riders too! My dad wore the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

Bill Harper, the license plate is from Minnesota, so it could the middle of May, before black fly season.

Happy motoring,

Warren

ps: no offence meant, I have a nephew who lives in Minnesota and I live in New Hampshire we have plenty of cool weather here as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Hibbing Minnesota is where Robert Zimmerman grew up.

You may know him by a slightly different name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

RE: defogger

Durkee Atwood in Minneapolis manufactured "Frost Shields" - both electric and non-electric.

Here in Minnesota, both types show up at swap meets - some still on the car. Also, there are a lot of junked cars sitting in groves that still have them installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

Hi Erik,

Thank you for the pictures of the Frost Shield. Are they glass or some kind of plastic?

I will have to give this a try. I do have a small period correct 6 volt defroster (a stretched out coil of wire in a metal frame with two suction cups) and these gizmos on the door windows could be a real benefit. Thanks, again. "Gets a fella thinkin' ". Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

The one I showed above from the internet is glass.

Early ones came in glass or celluloid. Later came plastic. You can easily tell the celluloid and plastic ones when they are mounted on a car because they have usually yellowed and look pretty crappy.

The frame you have with suction cups and wires may originally also originally included glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

More info on frost shields:

http://westenddumplings.blogspot.com/2013/01/remembering-car-window-frost-shield .html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Looks like a great option for any Model T owner to have. I'm not going to say "if Henry wanted his Model T", you know the rest, but I have found that when driving Seabiscuit in cool weather (it's never to cold to drive my Ts), if the windscreen fogs up I just open the drivers side door window and that clears it up right away.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Seabiscuit
Seabiscuit

Sambuca, has never had that problem
Sambuca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eP27eDtSs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Warren: Will you please tell me the paint source and code number for the Green body on the Seabiscuit? Thanks, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

James, I would if I could, but I don't know myself. However I will try to find out and send you a pm.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Thanks, Warren. jab35atCornelldotEDU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the picture of the defroster. That one must be the better (more expensive) model with the glass and multiple heating wires.

Mine is a plain heater only. I have had this thing for decades. When I found it I was still in college and driving a Renault 4CV, a rear engined car in which heating and more importantly windshield defrosting is something between an unfulfilled wish and a concept. I used this defroster in the Renault with success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 07:02 am:

Hey Bill, I love your defroster, have you used it with any of your Ts? I also like your comment "windshield defrosting is something between an unfulfilled wish and a concept". Back in '62 when I was going to college, I was driving a 1958 Saab (a great vehicle, but not much heat during the winter months).

Happy motoring,

Warren

ps: you could bring to the meeting on Monday so i can take a look at it,please

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration