Camshaft puller

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Camshaft puller
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:36 am:

I am trying to save a June 1922 engine that was laying under a tree for years with the head and front cover and pan removed. I have been successful in getting it apart without damaging anything so far. I cannot get the camshaft out. I have removed the two cam bearing retaining bolts and have been soaking with penetrating oil. Do I need a camshaft puller that I read about in one of the books ?? Anyone have a clear picture of such a puller or any thought on my problem ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:45 am:

The lifter need to be up out of the way for the cam will not come out. If the lifter are free and valves are out, turn the block over so they drop down and use a brass drift and tap the shaft out from the rear. You will need to remove the transmission and valves/springs to do this. The puller would be for removing the gear from the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Try driving it out from the rear with a drift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 11:08 am:

I had a 15 block with this issue I really wanted to save, finally ended up using an acetylene torch to cut out the exposed section, then each of the 3 remaining captured pieces could be removed with a drift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Want to add, when driving with the drift from rear; you are only trying to drive out the cam shaft not the bushing that it rides in at this point. Soak it in good penetrating oil first, NOT WD-40.

Re"The lifter need to be up out of the way for the cam will not come out."
Should read; The lifters need to be up out of the way for the cam shaft to come out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

This one was in the dirt for several years. I soaked it with ATF/acetone mix for a couple of days, then dove it out from the back with a punch. Don't forget to remove the bearing retaining screws.

This engine is now in my speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

I got it out !! Thanks for your helpful suggestions and advice. I like the idea of bringing another one in out of the weeds. thanks gain, Bruce Kile

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

If your block is heavily rusted, you might want to try an electrolysis tank. I had my block in one for a week and it cleaned up real nice. Very easy to do. There are several YouTube how-to videos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Dennis, does it harm the Babbitt?? My block has really good Babbitt, even still has shim packs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Can't say about the Babbitt. I had to pour new mains in mine anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 02:16 am:

An electrolysis tank CAN ruin the Babbitt bearings. I kept the bearings out of the solution when I cleaned up my block.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration