Ford in Minnesota from MPR

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford in Minnesota from MPR
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Solak, Chicago, IL area on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

Saw this online. Some history of Ford Motor Co. in Minn/St. Paul area.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/11/29/books-ford-century-in-minnesota

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

I knew that book "The Ford Century in Minnesota" was in the works and have been waiting for its release.

Book launch is tomorrow:

https://www.upress.umn.edu/press/events/book-launch-celebration-for-the-ford-cen tury-in-minnesota-by-brian-mcmahon

The Twin Cities Assembly plant in St. Paul was torn down a couple years ago. Currently, there is a lot of discussion regarding re-developing the land.

The plant sat on a prime piece of real estate next to the Mississippi River. It was unique in that it was not located in an industrial area of St. Paul. It was a stand-alone industrial complex on the south end of a residential area known as Highland Park. Highland Park is a very desirable place to live with very well maintained pre and post WWII middle-class and upper middle-class houses including many million dollar homes, especially along the river. It's like a suburb within the City of St. Paul.

As indicated in the article, the Minneapolis plant still stands. Honeywell owned the building for many years and light manufacturing was done there (thermostats and such).

From around 1970 to 2010 it was mixed used loft style office and studio space and it was rented out by many artists and other creative types.

As the demand for real estate in that part of Minneapolis has gone up, especially since the completion of the new Twins Stadium and the addition of light rail and commuter heavy rail, starting in 2010, it went through a $40 million renovation and is now high-end loft style office space.

I have driven by the Minneapolis building many times over the years but I kick myself because I never saw the inside prior to the recent renovation because I understand that the interior was relatively unmolested.

My dad's '17 touring and my '17 roadster were most likely assembled there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

There is also another Ford site in St. Paul. It is a smaller 3-4 story building on University Avenue across from the Capital.

I suspect my 26 an spare 26 (serial numbers are two weeks apart) where made in the St. Paul plant

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

The Ford Branch at 117 University was in danger of being torn down about 10 years ago but it still stands. It was constructed in 1913/14 and opened in 1914 and cars were assembled there for approx. three years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration