Strainer and magnet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Strainer and magnet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

I have a transmission strainer and magnet to put in my car before the newly rebuilt engine is started. I was wondering , since the magnet is not attached, only sticking to the screen, is there a best place to place the magnet, or does it matter? I'm thinking maximum oil flow across or around the magnet, with the least amount of impeding the flow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/553569.html?1436117086

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/557667.html?1437769410

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Rose on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

I installed a filter and two magnets that I bought from Tractor Supply. The magnets are used to feed to cows as they trap the nails, staples and bits of steel they wind up eating in the fields.

I also prior to doing that, made a clear transmission cover from clear plastic to see the oil run through the transmission……………WOW, it was a lot of oil! The flywheel and magnets are like a big turbine pumping an incredible amount of oil.

After running in the engine after a re-fresh, I was pleased that they work extremely well! I clean it every time I change the oil, I figure it’s like an oil filter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

I've reconsidered my magnet position. I now place it on the flat above the screen, leaving the entire screen open to catch fuzz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

Here's another good past thread on these.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/130259.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

And two more
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/290795.html?1337904607

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/227705.html?1312725410

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

I think Steve makes a good point. In my limited T
experience, the rod bearing failure I had was due
entirely to a fuzz-blocked front oiler tube. The
magnet should be strong enough to pick up metal
bits on the flat part and you get the added screen
surface working for you catching that errant fuzzocity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 07:26 am:

I'm gonna look next time I have mine open and see if I would rather have it on the flat portion. I've never thought of that. Mine is in the screen. I would not want to do anything to block the holes that allow oil to run down onto the drums, though. Gotta have a look.

BTW, I run wooden bands. NO FUZZ!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 09:10 am:

I would say about every time I open the cover to check the screen...every oil change...it is at least 70% free of fuzz. Perhaps over tightening the bands and/or over-hammering the brake contributes to fuzz?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 10:36 am:

I'm not sure that a magnet on the screen at the top of the hogshead is the very best idea. _Seems to me, that becomes a tug-of-war with gravity and sometimes, when you go over a bump, gravity may win and a clump of gooey metal might shake loose and fall back into the works. _But if you're going to go that route, I'd suggest a "rare-earth" magnet because they're the most powerful type.

I think the best option is the readily available, magnetized oil pan drain-plug. _Lang's has 'em.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3080M.aspx

The magnetized plug works with gravity to keep that blob of metal shavings in one spot, on the tip of the plug, and when you unscrew it to change the oil, the plug is easy enough to just wipe off on a paper towel. _I change my oil once a year and in that time, the magnetic plug collects a surprising amount of shavings, about a quarter teaspoon of gritty powder, which at first had me concerned, but it's been doing that for six years now and the engine runs great with excellent compression. _I think of the magnetic plug as a poor man's oil filter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:21 am:

The black goop on the magnet is from the rings scraping up and down the cylinders valves/lifters opening and other place where metal might rub.

Some photos on this one;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/67996.html?1223329722

(Message edited by redmodelt on December 01, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

I installed four 5 pound rare earth button magnets. I spread them out, hoping to capture most of the metal as it comes across the screen. When the engine was freshly rebuilt, I picked up A LOT metal filings. Now I get very little. The magnets are spread out so they do not affect the flow of oil through the screen. I would check the magnets regularly when you first install them, just incase there is a lot of initial debris. I had a weird magnetic sludge around the magnets for the 1st year.

I also installed at the same time a magnetic oil drain plug. It has never picked up anything, not even a single filing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

The magnet supplied with the oil screen is very strong. Nothing is going to bounce loose from it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

Don't be surprised by how much crap the magnet catches on a newly rebuilt engine...clean the magnet a couple of times before your first oil change!
When your bored or after a long cruise. Cleaning the screen is like a good insurance policy...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

I think Steve has a good idea about installing the magnet on the flat steel spot on the filter. I would worry about the magnet falling into the transmission. By placing it in the screen the top cover plate will not let the magnet pass through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

The magnet is going to work best where the oil is moving slowest past it. The oil viscosity prevents the filings from moving fast as the magnet attracts them so the longer they have to move the higher the chance of sticking to the magnet. I would guess right on the strainer would be best place. A magnet in the drain plug is also a great idea. It works when the engine is not running and the bits have plenty of time to move through the oil.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration