OT- Old lamp repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT- Old lamp repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:37 am:

I build replica cars for my retirement hobby and I am always on the lookout for old kerosene lamps. I stumbled across these T sized Solar lamps on eBay. They must have been used as barn lamps or such for many years, the outside surfaces were completely covered in a hardened caramel-glazed residue with heavy tarnish beneath it. A red scuff pad was necessary to get it off . One lamp was missing the chimney cap, which can be a deal-breaker when looking for a matched set of lamps. The remaining chimney cap reminded my creaking mind of something and it finally came to me... a door knob had the proper size and shape to replace my missing chimney cap! I went back to the well (eBay) and found a set of commercial doorknobs, solid brass with a 2 3/4'' diameter. I turned a washer down to fit the inner upper chimney diameter, another washer and bolt up thru the lower inner chimney into the knob, tighten it securely and only my hairdresser would know for sure. If a purist wanted to light the lamp a set of holes drilled around each mounting washer would permit this. I won't be lighting them, so shined up they will look good on whatever I mount them on. Total cost for both lamps, $55.00. Two doorknobs, $14.00. A lot of elbow grease for me and the cat watching TV on my recliner....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Gorgeous! Too bad you can't train the cat to do some work and spend less time in YOUR recliner! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 09:21 am:

Looks great! I would like to find a couple of those lights also, I want to mount them on a wall.

Pat

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration