Bearing Grease?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bearing Grease?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Should red bearing grease be in these locations? I found this grease other places that oil should have been used. This is a 26 RP

Thanks,
Dave s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Bearing grease should be used in that location. OP, I like the red stuff seems to have more tack and less washout esp on the U joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

The guys around here use marine grease to avoid the washout. Advance Auto stocks it here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Red 'n Tacky I think is the name I get from either O'Reilly's and/or Advanced Auto. Relatively cheap and always available. Tub or cartridge. I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Grease is grease, use your favorite flavor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Grease is not grease, there are some very good greases out there, if you are cheap and use the cheapest stuff you can get, then you may have to pay more in the future in repairs. I use Hydrotex Parasyn grease, it cost a lot more than regular grease, but I have used it in applications on the farm that extended bearing life by 10 times or more in harsh conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

I like the red grease and buy it at advance auto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Wolf's Head red high temp. Very good stuff. Since it's not a submarine I'll stick with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 06:39 am:

I use marine grade wheel bearing grease, mostly because I have plenty of it around for greasing my boat and trailer Bearing Buddy's. So far, so good. No issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 09:18 am:

The red grease was developed by Mobil Oil for aircraft use in the late 1950's. It is synthetic wheel bearing grease, made to resist being washed out by water. Versions of it were adopted for boat trailers. I think that adoption was accomplished by labeling the aircraft grease differently.

It should not be mixed with old school clay or soap based greases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Royce brings up a very important point, I use the expensive grease in everything, mainly because it is better, but also so that there is not a chance of mixing grease in any application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

It's not water at the location he shows, it's the hot oil migrating from the transmission that it need to be able to not turn liquid from and run out the bottom or into the rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

The red grease is made entirely of petroleum derived chemicals. It is a good choice for the universal joint, as it is not harmed by the motor oil, nor vice - versa.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration