Model T Perpetual Top 10...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T Perpetual Top 10...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

1. Water Pumps
2. Motor Oil
3. Picture Size
4. Vendors
5. Ford History
6. OT Posts
7. Wiring
8. White Tires
9. 6 Volt 12 Volt
10. Alternate Ignition

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

11. "Doctor's" coupes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

12. New RM brakes don't work backwards
13. Kevlar, Cotton or Wood bands
14. Patina vs. Restored (polish brass or tarnished)
15. Barn Finds Fact or Mith
16. Nickel vs. Chrome
17. That 1928 tune-up postcard. You know the one :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

I miss modified bituminous roofing tar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Are you the original owner? Sure... I look good for my age!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

MMO, any additives (fuel, eng. & coolant) and any home made brew stewed up to replace any T fluid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

What? Babbit thrust washers didn't make the list?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Carb leaks and the tank has rust in it!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Free neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

Whatever the top ten here is that aggravates some, also remember that there are new people to this site all the time who are just learning, and are not yet as jaded as some of us here are and appreciate the information, as boring and repetitive as it may be. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

New people should do themselves a favor and buy a shop manual. Then at least look at /read it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Jack, i agree that everyone should own the damn manual, but what is this forum here for in the first place if not to get different perspectives and info from other T owners?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Lots of new folks don't know about the manual and the other books. I try to tell them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

Do we need a link to frequently asked questions, designed for newbies to Model T's? We already have 17 likely topics given above.

This could be titled "Frequently Asked Questions / Information for those new to the Model T Hobby"

Steve's list of manuals, etc. could be on this list also.

Just my opinion. Others?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

Since I began reading on this forum about three months ago, I notice a bit of slowing down on the exchanges, which may be seasonal. If it's a trend, that's too bad, because this is the most active and interesting forum I've ever found on the "winternet" on any subject.

Nothing is more of a turn-off to a new person with a question than being told to go to a search engine, or have it implied their query is of no interest to a clique of "regulars". I encourage everyone who participates here to continue the spirit of patient, helpful good fellowship that makes this forum the best.

For those who are bored by repetitive questions, there are a number of interesting posts on a wide range of subjects that seem to drift off for lack of input.

Anyhow, when I saw this topic, I thought it was going to be about the Model T holding its place among the top ten selling cars of all time !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 01:27 am:

The all-time favorite has still gotta be "Are you the original owner?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Velarde on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 02:04 am:

I'm new and I am having a blast listening with my eyes of all your posts. I have a manual, you guys just fill in the funny paper side of it....Me...definitely not the original owner actually never owned it....it owns me.. My remark to the top ten..."What now?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 06:04 am:

Rich is right. It's a real turn off to be told "Go read the FAQ's". I once saw a website whose rules were to do a search before bothering the membership with your question. And if you asked one that someone who was better at searches than you were could find an answer to, you were lambasted right there on the spot. Do we want that here? If you're tired of answering questions, DON'T! Somebody else will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 08:13 am:

Since I am pretty much a newbie, here is my perspective. I do try to search before asking, but I have found the Keyword Search on this site a little frustrating. I have found it easier just to use google. I just make sure I have Model T in the search, something like "Model T motor oil". It usually works for me. If not, then I pester you with a question.

I am kind of surprises HCCT vs StroboSpark vs ECCT was not on this list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 09:07 am:

A shop manual is a great addition to one's library, but it is not always 100% correct. The original rusted fuel tank would still be in my '27 if I had attempted to remove it as per the manual instructions. It simply wasn't gonna happen that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 09:36 am:

If by shop manual you're referring to the Ford Service Manual (Black Bible) John's experience is typical for some jobs. It was written as a time standard for jobs in dealerships and if you look at it in that perspective you realize that you were expected to already know plenty about the car. This explains why some instructions seem a bit sketchy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 10:01 am:

No one has to respond to any of the questions asked. If the question annoys you, sit on your hands an let someone else provide a positive response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Charlie is exactly right. The service manual was intended for mechanics who already had knowledge and experience in working on cars. If you don't believe it look at the time studies. The time given for changing transmission bands is forty minutes. Mighty few of us, if any, on this forum could manage that.

I agree that being told to go look through a long list of FAQ's is often a big turn-off because finding the one that applies takes approximately forever. My solution to repeating the same answer over and over is to make my answer a web page. Then I can post a link that saves me the time of retyping something and saves the questioner the time of searching for a needle in a haystack. I haven't done this for all the recurrent questions yet, but I've done a few. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG52.html

An interesting sidelight on this is that some folks unintentionally make it obvious that they haven't read previous posts or looked at previous links. Art Linkletter was right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

The recurring topic among T owners is that parts are too expensive and reproduction parts are not identical to 100 year old NOS Ford parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

As a newbie I find the best way to search the forum is using Google. I did one this morning on what to put in the pumpkin. Wow, this is a subject has a lot of opinions (too thin, too thick, special brew of oils / grease, cooked or stirred, corrosive or other) and the Ford service manual is pretty vague.

After much deliberation I am going with 140 as about 60% thought that was right. That subject is a can of worms I did not want to open.

On another note........I appreciate all the help to date.

So many things on the T are about using the laws of nature in comparison to the 50's mechanically forcing things (KIS).

If I ask a dumb question it is because i am missing the simple that became complicated on later cars :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Kool a HEMI!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

I guess that my suggestion for a "Frequently Asked Questions" link given above is not a good one.

I do, though, wholeheartedly support Steve's use of a web page with various topics. Steve writes and describes things very well so things can be understood and / or done easily. And, of course, we all know his pictures and videos are first rate.

So Steve, I support your endeavor and look forward to more topic discussions on your web page.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

As a newbie myself, I find the simple tip of using google and typing in, mtfca followed by whatever subject I'm researching helps call up loads of former threads and discussions from past years. It's like visiting a research library within a second with all those nuggets of past sagacity. And nobody needs to be bothered. Perhaps that tip should be posted at the top of the general forum page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Actually Googling works quite well. In fact most times better than the site search option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Me still feeling very new to model T s but reading on the forum for several years before I bought 2 in six weeks, allows me to ask the questions I am not sure of the answer. After you have had the cars for a for while the manuals make sense. I appreciate the information the club members have given me so far! I really appreciate the pics because as a model A guy all of this is totally a new but much appreciated world. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 12:21 am:

I've found it easier as a new guy to read and learn. Lots of info here if you listen. Pretty much figured out who's advice I'd take.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

Steve I took your advise on getting Bruce's
encyclopedia on DVD. My wife ordered it for
me for Christmas. I spoke to Barbra, (his wife)
on the phone, Lovely woman. Thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration