Part out or keep whole?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Part out or keep whole?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

I have a low miles 5:1 TT rear end here and after throwing out some feelers on what it's worth someone told me that I would do better to part it out over selling it whole. Do you agree?

It's a shame to break down a perfectly good rear end but it's a question of finding a buyer willing to come here for the entire unit or putting it up on ebay piece by piece and hoping someone also wants the housings...

Your thoughts? He seemed to think I could a really good price for the 5:1 - is anyone currently making these gears?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

List it as whole for sale and stipulate it can be parted out. You don't have to say in the ad that it will have to pay for you to sell pieces. Should you happen to get a good deal on selling pieces you can then (obviously) list what remains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

I would think the labor of parting it out and the clean up of the mess it would make exceeds the extra value you might receive in selling it as parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Take it apart and clean up the gears really well and if they are good you will get more for the set than you will for the whole rear end. It's a lot easier to ship a set of gears. You'll want to advertise more than just locally.

Part out the rest if any good. Nice axle shafts with no seal cuts, worn key ways, or messed up threads are desirable. A whole rear end is a gamble if nobody can see the parts so people don't want to pay much. (And they are HEAVY)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Tim - what are you looking to get for the rear end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 10:58 am:

Given the vehicle I removed this from I would bet it had less than 1,000 miles on it. I replaced it with a 5:1 truckstell a couple years ago. I honestly don't know what price to put on it.

I did find this though: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/644503.html?1464040431 $2k a set?!? Wow.

Is anyone else reproducing these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Given the limited potential market, I expect the answer is no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

How many have sold at $2,000 a set.????

I would think what you have if it does not have much wear would be worth about $500

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

The general rule for selling used items is 1/2 what something costs new. Half of $2k is not $500, nor does that account for the rest of the parts that make up a rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

For those looking for the high speed TT gears, I wrote the man that makes them. 57 people bought 100% of what he made last time. I don't consider $104,880 Gross income "limited":

I am currently out of stock on the TT, and AA High Speed sets 5:17.1.
The cost is 1840.00 + shipping.
Made aprox. 57 sets
We are considering on making another run this winter.
Thanks,
Mike L Hartmann
Mike L Hartmann
President
MMS Futurecraft dynamics Inc.
Phone: (479) 489-5815
Fax: (479) 489-3815
Email: machshop@arkwest.com

One and only reproducer of the TT ton truck
famous High speed 5:17.1 worm drive gearing
Made in Ola, Ark. USA
Lets keep um going...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Keep in mind that the original price of the reproductions was $620.00 per set (worm and ring). The tripling of the price would probably hamper some of those original buyers.

I sold a very decent used set a year or two ago for $600.00 and it took a little while to find the right buyer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Justin by that logic your T should be worth 1/2 of the original $300 sticker price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Yes, but they have to be 1924 dollars. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

I occasionally see used original 5.17:1 gear sets in the $500-700 range.

I don't need any myself, but I usually call someone who does when I see them. I have seen 3 for sale in the past year, so they're not easy to find, but not hens teeth either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Tim, I wish you the best of luck with the rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

I would think leaving it whole so someone could buy it, and install it in a truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Someone would like to have the whole set up for their truck and would be will to have it truck shipped. Someone is looking for it you bet!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 11:47 pm:

Advertise it in the classifieds, as is, where is for the price you want and see what happens. You might have better luck on ebay. Looks to me I would ask no less than $500.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 01:08 am:

all depends on what shape the gears are in - most are totally worn out. I had a TT rear with those gears totally worn out, could not give it away. Which is what I finally did, good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:26 am:

I would like to know more about Truckstell rear ends for Model T's! I thought they were only made for Chevrolets.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration