OT Kind of and kind of sad.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Kind of and kind of sad.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

I live in a small city in Texas. Population 486.
But we do get a Newspaper (no matter how small)
And in our paper they do a TODAY IN HISTORY. So
on this date in history,
In 1927, Ford Motor Co. Unveiled its Model A automobile that replaced its Model T.
And as to that end.. I thank all of us that keep the T's running and on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Doug bought one of the first ones as a Christmas present for Mary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

When the Lord closes one door, he opens another one for us. We Model A and T guys are happy with either door.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

It's nice for us because of how long the T was made but the T should have been phased out around 1923-24 and a more modern car that fit what the buying public really was wanting should have been made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Wasn't 1923 the top selling year for well over two million?? Evidently the buying public had not heard the news in 1923!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

What a great day it was for cars!!! I rode in my first model A when i was about 13 and wanted one from that time until i bought my first coupe. I couldn't stand it now not to have one.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

I think I'd rather have the car behind the "A"...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

I have both a T and an A. Like them both. The most interesting thing to me is the comparison between the two. The T is built like a cat: light, lean, and supple. It twists and turns with every dip in the road like a horse drawn wagon. The A is built more like a bulldog. Stiff and strong, tough as nails, with far heavier construction.

I suspect that each design is a reflection of the available travel surfaces of its day. The T was designed when there were few graded roads, let alone paved. Mostly it went cross country or followed horse drawn wagon trails. By the time the Model A came along, there were many miles of paved roads in the U.S., and even the unpaved roads were usually graded to permit passage of lesser brands.

Each car represents a superb adaptation to the demands of its time.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

I'm with you Dick. I have 3 T's (did have 5 T's two years ago) and a Model A, I drive the T's far far more often than the A, but love both models. They both get lotsa smiles per mile. It's easier for the dog to get in the A than to make the high jump into the T also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

Speaking of roads, I recall more than one exchange between my mother and dad when dad talked about moving, mom says "not on that dirt road" dad says "that's a good gravel road" when I was little I didn't understand the difference either !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

When I was 17 the T was great to take the cheerleaders to the football game but the A Town Sedan was best for the drive in.
If you don't understand don't ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

The T was a replacement for a horse and wagon. It fulfilled it's design objective brilliantly. The A was a replacement for the model T. It fulfilled it's design objective brilliantly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

My dad ran a cotton gin and in 1924 he bought a 1924 TT to replace the horse and wagon he used haul cotton and cotton seed. I still have the TT truck that he bought.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration