Torque tube berring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Torque tube berring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

Gentleman,
I am rebuilding the rear end on my T and find the Babbitt bering in the torque tube is badly warren. My question, is that a bushing or is the Babbitt pored and machined in the tube? For you who have replaced this barring with a new bronze one can you help? Thank you.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

Jim, it just a busing. You can knock it out with a long pipe that fits between the rivets that mount the ball to the end of the tube.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Ok that is the short answer. The problem is once you get the drive shaft out of the tube you need to check the condition of the bearing area on the shaft, if it deeply worn or scored it needs to be cleaned up, once it's cleaned up chances are the clearance is too great with even a new bushing installed so a bushing should be made for a better fit.
Also the sleeve at the pinion end needs to be checked for cracks and wear. If the sleeve is loose on the shaft chances are the key slot for the pinion gear is shot so you will be needing a new drive shaft in which case the upper bushing from the suppliers will work. Then buy the fun project pinion bearing kit.

If it's babbitt it can be melted out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Stephen & Mark,
Thanks for getting back to me. I will get a piece of shaft and machine a short nipple on the end to the diameter if the inside of the barring and see if I can drive it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Jim,

Take a good look at the inside of the driveshaft tube right behind the bushing. There will be four rivet heads showing. Evidently, these rivet heads vary in height. The Chaffin book on restoration of front and rear axles says that you can push the bushing out using a 1/2 inch drive 15/16" socket providing the OD of the socket is 1.25. I found that a socket of that size rested against my rivet heads rather than against the back of the bushing.

I had to make a special tool that cleared the rivet heads and yet provided sufficient diameter to remove the bushing.

Below is a picture of the tool I made. I'll send it to you providing you return the favor by sending it to the next person who needs it. Sorry about the Giganto-vision photo.

If you don't need the tool, that's great. If you do need it, send me a PM with your address.

Dicktool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

If it turns out that you need a new drive shaft, get it from John Regan. The others have the hole for the U-joint pin drilled in the wrong place. I would also get a pinion bearing from him. That's one place I'll go modern instead of stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:33 am:

I have used a long pipe for years. It destroys the bushing though. Stevens and most likely KRW made a special puller for this too. I've had real good luck finding original NOS front driveshaft bushings at swap meets, but they still must be reamed and faced to fit.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration