Mounting 1916 front fenders

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Mounting 1916 front fenders
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Benjey on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 08:36 am:

I have several questions about installing 1916 front fenders:
1. What size(s) and how many bolts are required? (They are on backorder from Lang's)
2. Do any bolts hold the fenders in place while you install the hood shelves or are the bolts through the hood shelves the only bolts attaching the fenders directly to the frame?
3. Are the wood hood shelves painted black or left natural?
4. I assume the hood latches are installed in the hood shelves before the hood shelves are bolted down. Is this correct?
Any other tips you might have would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 06:46 am:

Since no one else has given you an answer, I'll give it a shot. I haven't put together a '15-16 for a few years and I don't have one to look at, so I'm answering from memory. (And my memory isn't what it used to be.) :-)

1 -- There are a couple holding each fender to the frame, and a couple holding each shelf. Seems like two of each per side, 1/4" dia. The length should be easy to figure out.

2 -- See answer to #1.

3 -- Black originally.

4 -- No, the latches go in after the shelves. The cotter keys and washers at the bottom bear against the top flange of the frame.

The holes in the shelves for the latches need to be elongated to the outside, so the latches can pivot away from the hood when undoing them.

If any of this is wrong, I'm sure we'll all be so advised. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 11:13 am:

If pictures of our 16 help let me know I can take any you need

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 11:19 am:

If you have new reproduction fenders they will have to be trimmed at both ends. Make sure that you have them fit to the radiator and to the body before drilling any holes.

I think there is only one bolt per fender that attaches the fender to the frame below the hood shelves. The hood shelve bolts go through the hood shelves, the fender, the frame and the engine pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 11:54 am:

1/4 20 carriage bolts with square nuts, long enough to go all the way thru to underside of frame channel. Not sure about the diameter of the head but if you are not going for points that should not matter. You might want to clean off any makers marks on them.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/3088BS.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Benjey on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Thank you very much for the help and photos, especially the first one. I bought a never-previously-mounted depot hack body and a running chassis along with a bunch of miscellaneous parts. Some assembly required has turned into a significant project. Engine splash shields seem to be missing. This isn't going to be a show car or daily driver, so are they even worth buying and installing?

How much do the hood latch holes need to be elongated? Should the hood latch springs and washers slide in and out of the frame without rubbing?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration