Ruckstell rear end repair for Sambuca my 1917 Model T Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ruckstell rear end repair for Sambuca my 1917 Model T Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 08:47 am:

I have been working on installing a Ruckstell rear end in Sambuca for quite sometime now and could not get it to shift so I brought it with me when I went to see my good friend Dick Welch. Dick immediately knew what the problem was and set to work on it!!!! Placing in his shop vise he began to move the working parts, with the help of Marvel Mystery Oil. Soon Dick had it working as good as new. Thanks to Dick Welch and Marvel Mystery oil I can now drive and shift Sambuca.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Sambuca

Sambuca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qGHD7AYzxo&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

MMO wins again!
:-)

I've got a stick, now, where is that bear hiding?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Glad you got it working, but I find it hard to believe that Marvel Mystery Oil was the solution to your troublesome axle rebuild. Had to have been something else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

If you read the post I was working on installing a Ruckstell rear end in Sambuca, my 1917 T. The last thing was I could not get it to shift. I brought to my good friend Dick Welch. He placed in his shop vise he began to move the working parts, "with the help of Marvel Mystery Oil", he had it working again. Thanks to Dick Welch and Marvel Mystery Oil I can now drive and shift Sambuca.

Happy motoring,

Warren

ps: I have used MMO for decades, I didn't suggest anyone use this product, but I do think it helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

I am having the same problem and was told by the guy at Chaffin's that the shifting mechanism is not lubricated by the oil in the rear end and can rust and bind up if not used frequently. After reading this post I will go out to the shop on Monday and pull the top off and see if that is the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

MMO is what it is. Marketing, hype, snake oil, and a perfectly good lubricant. And I guess I will mention, one of the neatest looking cans on the market for many decades.
Beyond all that? I don't see why anybody gets all worked up over the stuff? I feel the same way about WD-40. Excellent product, for a few things. Not half as good as it is hyped up to be for most things people try to use it for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 12:28 am:

The long nose shift lock, which in my opinion is a large improvement over the short nose version, needs to have a couple zerks installed in the body to lubricate the shift mechanism and keep the internal parts from rusting. The short nose one needs to be removed once in awhile and have grease added to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 08:06 am:

John, I am happy that I may have helped a fellow member with their problem, that was the meaning of my post (along with some of my off humor).

Wayne, I like and use WD-40 all the time and agree it's another great product.

Stan, not sure what my Ruckstell has (long or short) and not sure a couple of zerk fittings would help. The reason being, my good friend Ken LeBlanc at Merrimack Valley Tire told me to remove it and bring it down on Thursday night, so he could look at it and I could use his parts washer to clean it up. What surprised me was the amount of caked in (sand & hard grease) packed in it. Which after thinking about it, the arm sits on top of the axle where all the road sand and dirt would end up collecting on the grease.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Ruckstell (2)
Ruckstell (3)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration