Old Photo - Posing On The Road

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Posing On The Road
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:47 am:

That's odd. Looks like a 1923-25 style touring with a 1926-27 windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:52 am:

I think this might be a studio picture. The shadows don't look right.

Hasslers without the coil springs, and not attached on the left side? Oh, the humanity!

(Message edited by brianeliason on December 03, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Note that the coils are missing from the Hasslers. Wonder how it rides?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Missing Hassler springs. No rear fenders. Nickel shroud and headlight rims. Headlight lens turned. One perch is early style. Looks like a fun car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:58 am:

You guys are too quick for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 11:43 am:

windshield is a chev. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Brown on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Guy in the back is throwing the horns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 11:57 am:

The windshield is a quick bolt on. Its fits, kind of but not exactly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Disagree with this being a studio photo. The shadow of the photographer is clearly visible as he's standing in front of the car with the sun coming from behind him. Taken either shortly after sunrise or before sunset, given the length and position of his shadow on the car. Obviously colorized at some point as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

It has a 1937-38 Wisconsin truck license plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

CLASSIC 10-pin arm openwire telephone construction and fence line
completes the scene with period correct details. Too damned sexy ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 12:04 am:

When I brought my 1919 coupe home on my slide bed tow truck, I was amazed at how much the front spring collapsed with Hasslers on the front. The eye ends of the spring darn near touched the front axle.

I can only imagine what would happen with out the Hassler springs. It seems to me to be downright dangerous.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

Is the driver's side spring perch an early one for an over the axle wishbone?

Jeez, that car is the definition of a bitsa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 02:36 pm:

Looks like it's missing parts and needs some help... But aren't they all missing or needing something. If pay 5k or $15k they still need something!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

By 1938, one would expect such an outdated technology vehicle to be a pile
of mixed parts. The leap from T-era to A-era in terms of tech instantly made the
T an old fashioned novelty. I asked my Dad why he had so many photos of old
Model A hotrods and none with Model T's. He said the T was impossible to work
with. When you were done, there was no Model T left. Starting with a "modern"
car, you at least had something to work with. That said, T's were generally left
behind as "quaint". Something to just be used as-is, patched up with old parts,
or ignored altogether.

I remember the very occasional Model T still in actual utilitarian use around our
area when I was a kid. More lingered in barns and garages that were no longer
being used. Back then, all repair parts were picked from junk piles.

This photo reminds me of the V 1/2 rail car that the kids built at the Stone Garage
in Como, Colorado and ran all over the South Park line before the rails were pulled
up in the summer of 1938. As it was something done for fun, lots of photos were
taken of this REALLY patched together mess of a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Tim,

Yes, the driver's side has the earlier style spring perch for the above the axle wishbone. The passenger side is the later newer style spring perch.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cur off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

Dan, I noticed the fella "throwing the horns" to the driver too.
Against my better judgement, I'll ask for a delicate explanation of the horns in that day and age or has it been the same for the last 500 years?...
OR
It ran, it cost $15.00 and gas was cheap. Like Dennis said, they sure were having fun with it!
"Stop in at Colonels Cobble Shop and we'll get you out there on the road!" :-)
Ooh, top mounts and nuts.... Poor thing with no apron on its front. :-)
Great pic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Burger,
What is a V 1/2 rail car? Any pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

It was a railcar built by some kids in 1937 to roam the abandoned
narrow gauge South Park rail lines of the Colorado and Southern.

The rails were pulled up in 1938 and the old beater was actually
put back together for road service !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration