Ft cam bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ft cam bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

Is it possible to cut down a ft cam bearing from a pre 24 to fit on a later cam. I have a new bearing for my 23 and have bought a new cam for a
24 and newer and am hoping to use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

Anybody??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

I don't see a problem. Of course cut from the rear surface so the set screw hole position isn't disturbed. I am assuming the thicker front cam lobe is wider than the recess in the bearing so you are not left with a little bit of notch in the bearing after cutting it down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

I cut the bearing so it fits nice with .002 clearance but now there is no notch in the back.
I assume that the notch is there for oil. Should I now cut a new notch or is this not a problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

Tom,
I'm re-building an engine at the moment that has a front cam bearing in it that looks like it was just cut square with a angle grinder, no notch, the owner said the engine was last out some 30 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

Check to be sure it's round. A lot of them aren't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Video on cam bearing fitting/adjustment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzaeB1t9U5o&index=11&t=568s&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8 WQm4tGmKK1nA0Yctp6G

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

I pressed it round in a jig and a press then cut it on a lathe. I was worried about getting it oiled without the slot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

The notch is not for oil. It is to allow room for the lifter. None of the later style front bearings came with a notch because the wider first cam lobe already cleared the lifter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

Thanks, now I know.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration