Help with accessing private messages

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help with accessing private messages
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

I received an email saying that I had received a private message. But I'll be darned if I can figure out how to access the message. Can someone help me, please ?

Thank you,

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

Dick...

If it is legit....just click on it and right below the

"Congratulations! You have received a private message from the following discussion board user: abcdef" there is a line underneath and below that line IS the complete message...

If you don't see it that way, then don't click any further as it will not be legit...

Some guys here repeatedly get their email addresses hacked...so maybe I should back up a step...

The in box title if legit from MTFCA will read

Please reply to user email address listed in body of message NOT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 08:15 am:

Dick,

George’s advice is excellent. If you want some illustrations to go with that, below is a screen shot of the “private message” (PM) I just sent you through the MTFCA message board. I also sent myself a copy so I could see it and post it. Any PM you receive should look similar to that format. You can also send yourself a PM to see what it should look like.

+++++++++++++Image of test Private Message:++++++

+++++++++++++ end of Image ++++++++++++++

Note the "Question Marks" inside the black diamonds were originally quotation marks in my word processor. But when the message was sent it changed them to the "Question Marks in the diamond." Many of our word processors use special characters that some of the other computer programs do not use. And in those cases, it substitutes what it thinks is close to that.

Plan "B" - if you have kids or grandkids close by, I have found they are often good "tech support."

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 09:06 am:

i dont get very maney but when i do the senders return address never works??? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 09:55 am:

One other thing. When you receive a PM message, you can not reply to it by just hitting "reply" in your e-mail program. It goes to somewhere in the dark recesss of the internet, that there is no one home to read them. To reply to a PM message you "must" use the e-mail address provided in the PM message labeled "Reply directly to this user with the following e-mail address" . As Hap shows in his message above. You can either cut/copy/paste it, or just manually type it in yourself into the address bar, when sending your reply e-mail....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 10:10 am:

yes that is what i do but it never works. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Dick,

If someone you don't know sends you a PM,
look up their user profile shown in the PM
to see how long they have been a member before
deciding whether or not to reply ....

Kinda like answering the door when there is a knock
on it or the bell rings - used to be not anything to wonder about in the past - but today .... ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

Just an update, with the help from all of you, Dick has it figured out and working now.

Thank you all for your assistance!

Charley -- I sent you a PM. If you have time and want to give it a test, please send me back a reply both to my e-mail and also using the PM link (which is located just above the user's e-mail address in the "private message" body. I'll try to keep an eye out for it and let you know if it arrives or not. Also, if you put a check mark in the box that you want an e-mail sent to you, that lets you know what was sent.

Donnie -- you are correct that just hitting reply will not work. In addition to copying the e-mail address and pasting it in a new e-mail you can also respond with a Private Message (PM) to the person. Just above the e-mail address is the option to reply to them using a PM. If you do not have your e-mail address posted so it can be viewed, that is a way you can reply without giving away your e-mail address.

And for any replies the folks need to check their SPAM folders -- as sometimes a new e-mail address will end up there.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration