Problem with the forum site

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Problem with the forum site
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Anybody else having this problem with the forum site?

The last couple of days, whenever I click on a topic, it just keeps circling and circling for about a 1/2 minute. When it stops I click on it again and it loads instantly.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 08:49 am:

OK here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 08:53 am:

No problem here in the mornings. The entire year forum index loads in less than 1/2 second. In the evenings, when all the "metros" start streaming TV and games it can take much longer. The screen is nearly all text so it should load quickly. Perhaps your browser is running out workspace or your disk drive is.

If we knew what you're on (PC, phone, Pad and what Operating System), maybe more help could be offered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 08:53 am:

werks fine for me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 08:54 am:

If it is on a computer, then I'd suggest you maybe try rebooting your router.

The hanging circle is normally a signal that the end of file message from the host has not been received by your computer because in a way something on your end stopped listening too soon.

If you are using a smart phone or smart tablet that is looking to 4G or LTE for its info then this comes under the heading of you are either being throttled by your service provider or a cloud went between you and the tower :-) (only joking on that last part but you get the gist)

You can also reboot you computer/smart device as part of a general housekeeping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

I have the same problem with my PC using google. However I don't have the problem with my iPhone.
I suspect it is something to do with the size of the discussion forum at this time of the year and how the browser deals with large files.
One solution is to open two windows when using the PC and alternate between the two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

Steve I suggest you use aluminum caps on the vice to hold the ream to prevent messing up the end. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

What you're experiencing is a dropped packet. When anything is transmitted on the Internet, it's broken up into small packets of data. Those packets interleave with others intended for other destinations. If your computer is busy (usually doing something in the background) and misses a packet, it can request a resend. If it doesn't, you get exactly the symptom you describe.

You don't need to wait for it to stop, nor back up and click again. While the wait icon is spinning, just hit the F5 key. That's the shortcut for "reload this page".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

No issues here but when I had dial up it was a issue. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Possibly try a different browser. When I log on to the forum through Firefox, it never fully loads. When I use Internet Explorer, it loads just find.

I have to use a special program on my computer called ZoomText that reads it to me, so that is a limiting factor. But it works with one browser and not another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

I'm having the same problem, AND IT"S ONLY ON THIS SITE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

If Bruce is right you will need to look for the dropped packet.
I suggest that you begin by looking on the floor near your computer.
The little guys roll a bit so you might have to look in a circle that is 10 -12 feet in radius.
Sometimes turning the light off will help because they glow for about 30 seconds after they hit something hard like the floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alex mc dougall on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Iam also having same problem here in the uk,only on this site.
The problem started after updating new version of kaspersky security,or could this be just coincidental?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

Folks who have been on the forum for a few years know that Hugh Jass would recommend modified bitumen roofing tar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

I'm having the same problem only on this site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

Who WOULDN'T recommend bituminous roofing tar ? A wonderful stocking gift for
the little ones at Christmas.

Is Mr. Jass a friend of Hugh G. Rection ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 07:50 am:

No, different family...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 08:11 am:

Thanks to everyone for all those wonderful and helpful suggestions. George gets a gold star, Bruce gets a silver star (tried using the F5, didn't do anything), Tony gets a bronze star and the rest of you get 2 hours in study hall. Although Fred should get honorable mention as I am still looking and he may be correct (Fred, do I have to move the couch and look under there as well?). And Burger, what can I say, except that you always bring some enlightenment to every discussion.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Thank you Dave for your photo! I hope to see both you and Fred at tonight's meeting. Arthur always puts on a wonderful spread for the December meeting. That way the both of you can enlighten me with your computer knowledge.

Happy motoring,

Warren

ps: I guess with the snow flying, we have nothing better to do than read the forum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 08:59 am:

All the funny's is not getting the problem solved!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Nicholas, have you tried "clearing your cache"

AND clearing your history?

That sometimes helps me when I have a site problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:48 am:

YES! It is this site ONLY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Sorry.

I am using Chrome as my Browser and have no problems today. What browser are you using...sometimes IE does not work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:02 am:

Nicholas, I took both Tony & Robert's advise and switched browser, I am now using Microsoft edge and having no problems. Robert & Tony both get a Pabst Blue Ribbon and a gold star.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

I don't know if it is related or not. But this site was totally off line for awhile late last night till early early this morning Califunny time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

Time to switch from batt to mag.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Wayne, I hope you don't feel like the Rodney Dangerfield on the forum.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Nicholas needs to get a cache wipe.
It can be found next to the butt wipes at BJs or on line at Amase-on for a small sum.

Unfortunately Warren, Dave and I will not be able to meet tonight because the meeting has been cancelled due to some cold white stuff.
This reprieve will allow us to spend the evening with a few glasses of wine and share our vast knowledge about model T's and life with the fine folks on the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Hehehe! Yous guys... And people wonder why we are on this forum..... :-) :-)
I gotta admit, with my supposed high speed internet (my antenna looks at a tower), using a wireless card, browsing with SeaMonkey (a lighter version of the Firefox) and running Puppy Linux 528 on an old vista computer (and an older one before this'un), this site is always blistering fast!
I like that!
I don't do windows.
Kinda like Orson Bean(?) on Twilight Zone once, at the end of the show, IF I remember correctly, "I like my (18?) Rickenbacher and I like Zither music!"...
I like my model T's and my other old machines here, I like SeaMonkey and I really like Linux for computing.
Crickets... WHAT ON EARTH is this guy babbling about? ;-)
My pocket watch computer (an android) in my pocket is pretty fast too. I use it for youtube clips. :-)

Actually some very good tips given for computers using this site. History, cache and restarts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

Warren H, At some of the times I look in here? Probably only the Aussies, New Zealanders, and myself noticed it. I don't know how long it was off, it had been on and working okay, I looked elsewhere awhile, went back and it was clearly off. Nothing else gave me trouble. It was certainly time to shut down for the night. So I wandered elsewhere awhile longer, checked back, and it was still down. So I shut my computer down for the night. Severe insomnia sucks.

The funny thing is, I had been noticing an unusual amount of dropped packet issues with this site for about two weeks now. It seems fine today. When I saw it was down, I thought maybe Chris B was doing "his thing". Regardless Chris, THANK YOU for all you do for us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 08:33 am:

Wayne, all I can say is "it's a good think that some of us don't take ourselves to serious", that way we can still enjoy reading the forum.

Fred, thanks for telling me. 5 of us showed up at the meeting (1 director, 1 office holder and 3 other brave members). You will have to read the newsletter to see the 28 amendments to the by-laws that we passed.

Happy motoring,

Warren

amendments

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration