Newbie Headlight Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Newbie Headlight Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

Hi all, I'm about to hook the wires back up to my headlights and was wondering if the high beams went into the upper or lower terminals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Try it with brights on top. If that's wrong, you have only one other choice. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

Hard to argue with that logic, Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

I fiddled a bit last night and it seems that instead of bright and dim I have 'just more than off' and 'just less than on.' I suppose that's reasonably normal but could I run a diode or something to get both filaments lot on the bright setting? It's been a while since I've had my head in electrical theory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

^That should read, "Both filaments LIT."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

Tim, I suspect you have a poor ground on the dim light. You need to make sure the bulb is grounded in the holder. More likely is a poor ground between the bulb holder and the headlight bucket. the ground between the headlight and the fender bracket is usually ok.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Do I have my head on square? Do some of the folks solder a wire between the bulb holder and the headlamp bucket to get that part of the ground taken care of?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

They sure do Duey. It is a sure fore way around the problem. My son solders the bucket end of the wire to one of the rivet ends.It is a sure fire way to eliminate the problem.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 01:18 am:

Do not wire the lows and highs together make sure you have 6 volt bulbs (not 12s), and as previous, clean grounds. With both bulbs drawing current at the same time may cook your switch. I had an 80s Ford and was able to hold low and high on at the same time, however it was costly because it cooked the switch inside the steering column

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration