A remarkable coincidence

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A remarkable coincidence
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Nine years ago I went to Arkansas and dragged home a 1924 TT project.

A year and a half ago I went to an auction in Cleveland, OK, and paid $5 for an engine nobody else wanted.

Today I hauled the five-dollar engine over from the barn to mine it for parts. Out of curiosity I looked up the serial number and had a bit of a surprise.

Here are the serial numbers of the TT project and the five-dollar engine.

Both are August 31, 1923. After 93 years, what are the odds of ending up with two engines made on the same day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

I'd say the odds are better than I thought!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

I have a spare block with a serial number is only nine off from the one in my car - May 25, 1917.

The casting dates differ by one day, however - May 23 for the spare and May 24 in my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

The same casting date is on both of these: F4. ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

While almost totally unrelated to T's, I have some telephone insulators with
unusual crud or colors that indicate they were made from the same glass batch,
shipped to the same user, placed on the same pole, through 100+ years of line
rebuilds stayed right side-by-side, and after over a century, sit in my lighted
case, still just inches from one another. The odds are lottery-like, but weird
stuff like this happens ! Cool story. :-) I really enjoy your use of photos in your
posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 12:32 am:

Ford USA stopped using casting dates around 1922. So your two '23s likely won't have casting dates. They still continued to use some mold and pattern designations. Probably that is what the "F4" is. I understand that Ford of Canada continued casting dates (the kind in a circle) till near the end of production in '27.
Statistical probabilities is a fascinating subject to study. The odds of having two engines that close together is actually higher than one likely would think.
Along similar lines, and I forget the exact number. But if you take ten people totally at random. What is the probability that two of those ten people will share a birthday? Would you believe it is better than 99 percent?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 07:46 am:

OT a little, forgive me , but I had a Chevy six that was cast on the day I was born.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

At a swap meet years ago, I noticed two guys looking over a Model A engine across the isle from me; they were reading the engine number, and wondering what year it was. "March 1930!" I told them. "Oh, that's not what we want" and off they went. I suddenly thought "Why did I know that?" and then it dawned on me that it was within 1,000 numbers of my model A's original engine (which has a huge crack in it). Hmmm, spare engine maybe?? "Hey buddy how much for that engine" "I'll trade you for that rebuilt starter you're trying to sell"
Well, I only pretty much had labor into that starter, so zip-zip done deal! Once I got it home, I found the engine has a B crank & cam and the late oil pump in it--I've not even yet taken it apart further to see what other tricks hide in there! Someday It will replace the "wrong" engine that's in the A still.
And thanks to this forum, I found a "new' engine for my wife's modern Honda that was within 3,000 numbers of her original, so no smog issues with that change out!
Twice in one lifetime, think I've probably had my run of such luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

I read on a tractor forum about a guy that restored his John Deere and sold it.
Some years later at a tractor show in, I thick Ohio, he decided to look to see if his tractor was there.
So as he was checking numbers he found one that was a number before his. He got so excited he keep on checking and found one later that was a number later than his.
Wouldn't you know it, he actually found the one he restored! Three numbers in order at the same show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Hi Tommy, I have a Buick V8 intake manifold that was cast on my 21st birthday. I bought it specifically for that reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 07:44 am:

Years ago there was a story in one of the magazines, probably a Model T Times, about someone who was looking for a 1914 engine that was close to a certain date. Someone else, it might have been Cecil Church, looked through his stash and found an engine that was one day off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 08:32 am:

We owned a 1950 Buick that was assembled at the Linden, NJ plant the same day my wife's older brother was born.... we sold the car to purchase our first Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

My dad owns one of two surviving 1900 Waverley Electrics. It was one of the first automobiles in Minneapolis.

Its surviving twin sister was one of the first automobiles in St. Paul. It was donated to the MInnesota Historical Society in 1911 (but they did not take delivery until 1918 due to lack of room) where it has resided ever since.

The serial numbers on the cars are one off from each other.

Both are Model 8 "Dos a Dos."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

I don't know exactly how many different days T motors were made, but let's say 5000 for sake of illustration. If that is the case, then you might think that there is a 1:5000 chance any two T motors would be made on the same day. That would be the case if the two days that the T motors were made had average production. If they had above average production, such as they would in 1923, the odds would go up. Perhaps to 1:2500 if production were double the average.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

A few years back my brother decided to title his 1926 T roadster. He has used one of the many motors he had at the time and used the serial number stamped on the motor.

When he took it to the State Patrol for inspection they looked at the paper work and verified the serial number.

Oh Oh, guess what that exact number was already in use to another 1926 T roadster only on the other side of the state!

go figure'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:12 am:

The original block in my roadster was very badly eroded around the exhaust ports so I looked for a replacement which did not need extensive welding and machining. I found one with a casting date just one day earlier. However, the engine number was more than 100 000 earlier!!!!!!

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration