Old Photo Postcard - Model T Era - Burkburnett Texas Boomtown 1918

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo Postcard - Model T Era - Burkburnett Texas Boomtown 1918
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:12 am:

It makes me wonder if they built a town in the middle of the oil patch, or if the oil company started drilling in back yards after the town sprang up. I would think that everyone would want to drive all-black cars in the mud and oil streets of that town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Half a dozen of the houses on the left are still there. No oil derricks, though. There is still a water tower in the same location, which helped figure out where it is. Address for this picture is 117 State Loop 267.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:44 am:

That is a weird way of establishing a neighborhood. Would like to know which came first...
Imagine one of those derricks bursting a gusher like we've seen in films...

Interesting pic Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:38 am:

My guess id that the oil derricks came first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:39 am:

is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:43 am:

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

Sorry couldn't resist. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 11:37 am:

. . . and he cursed all the rigs and the oilmen,
and he cursed the automobile,
He said this ain't no place for an hombre like I am,
In this new world of asphalt and steel . . .

- "Coyotes"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

Those of you who have done the popular Hotter’N Hell 100 mile bicycle ride out of Wichita Falls, TX know the town of Burkburnett. Very interesting to see it from back in the day. Thank you for posting.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

Looks very much like the area around Long Beach Ca in the 1930's and 1940's.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

Always check to see who owns the mineral rights under your house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Cant believe the oil rigs in the yards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

I thought those were the latest and greatest jungle gyms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

I own the mineral rights on my place down to 75 feet. Some big mining conglomerate owns everything below that. That is common in this area due to the gold mining history here. There are literally thousands of old mining shafts under about a quarter of the county.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

I was born in Wichita Falls and raised in Burkburnett. Even in the 60's some of the leases were still producing. The producers lease surface rights from homeowners. Usually a cash payment up front and a percentage monthly based on amount of oil produced. Numerous homes still had well pump jacks pumping in the 60's. Burkburnett was and still is known as Boomtown, USA. A massive legendary oil strike on the site of the 6666 Ranch, won in a poker game by Samuel B.(Burk) Burnett. Clark Gable starred in the 1939 film Boomtown. Hit and miss motor guys-all this equipment was powered by big flywheel equipped engines. As a kid in the fifties and sixties they were everyplace, part of the scenery, rusting everywhere. All gone now.....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration