Thoughts on old Photos that are posted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Thoughts on old Photos that are posted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 08:56 am:

I love to look at the pictures that members post of the cars, the cities, the rural scenes, but most of all the people from the past and wonder what happened to them. What kind of life did they have. Were the rich or poor, happy or sad, did they achieve their goals or just survive. But many times I look into their faces I often wonder if the young men and women went off to war and if they ever made it home or am I looking at a Mother or Father who never got to see their children again because these people were willing to sacrifice everything to keep their country safe. As we approach the anniversary of December 7,1941, the United States entrance into WWII, let us not forget that those young men and women that we see in the pictures banded together to provide us with the freedom that we enjoy today, not only on the front battle lines but also the sacrifices made on the home front in total support of the cause. The photo we post may be their last photo ever taken. Thanks to all who are currently serving this great nation and to all those who have served in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:01 am:

Well said, I sometimes think the same things. Thanks to all who have served. past or present...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:04 am:

Well said Dennis! I also share your feelings my friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:51 am:

Ditto to what Jay just said. I have mentioned before similar thoughts/feelings about these neat old pictures posted and wondered about all the history behind them. Especially all the war pictures. Like Dennis said, without them, we may just not be here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Galen West - Halfway OR on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:54 am:

Nice job Denny. If only the photos could talk. I do enjoy all of the old pictures that are posted. Thanks to Jay,Herb and all of the rest of the folks that have shared with us their collections.It seems to me that the vets are getting more of the earned appreciation and respect now than they have in the past. I recall coming home from Vietnam when our country was being torn apart by all the demonstrators on the streets. I feel that the older core of our population holds our vets in the highest esteem however I question where our younger folks appreciation for our country lies. Just my thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Looking at old photos, I like the ones best that I can "walk right in to" and
"have a look around". Lots of details that the careful study can learn much
about the times by noticing. They tell us a lot about the people and how they
lived.

This country treated vets from Vietnam despicably. I speak with Nam vets
often and get their perspective on something I only witnessed. It was not a
happy thing to serve this country for many of them and they hid their service
to avoid more conflict when they came home. Given that WW2 was only 20-
25 years past, it must have only made it worse having such recent memories
of a very different reception for those coming home from that war. Many are
still bitter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

Damn you Dennis Seth! You made my eyes water at work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

Hi Dennis, Yes, you said it very well. As we approach the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, we should all reflect on the losses from the war and be thankful for our freedom.

I also agree with what Tim and Galen said about "if those pictures could talk". The people, the places and the way they lived. The mud roads, the suffering in the depression, and it goes on.

I, for one, am thankful for the freedom we have and the high standard of living that we enjoy.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:52 pm:

In the past thirty years I have hauled about one hundred Pearl Harbor survivors in the Vetran's Day parades in Red Wood City and San Jose, Ca.
About six or seven years ago it got to where where there were not many left.
now there is no special effort to have a separate group of Pearl survivors.
while sitting and waiting for the parade to start and during slow trips in my T touring in the parades I have heard MANY stories.
Some would make you wonder how in hell they made it out alive.
Some had to swim around the burning ship and actually swim under oil that was burning on top of the water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:11 am:

Dennis, I often walk through old graveyards wondering the same things as you mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 02:06 am:

You cannot know where you are going, if you do not know where you are.
And you cannot know where you are, unless you know where you came from, and how you got here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 08:19 am:

Old photos are a second in time that has been captured. It depends on the person who held the camera for what we see today. Some photos have better composition than others, but all are that moment in time.
I wonder about today's photos that compare to the old ones. The old ones seen on this forum are mostly Brownie camera type photos that have the theme of the Model T car. They are photos that are developed and have a "hard copy" that can be held in your hand. A lot of today's photos that are comparable to the situation that the old photos on here are captured in a cell phone and are shared and viewed on the cell phone screen. The photos of today are share-able, but not in the same way. In a hundred years will someone find a shoebox full of old cell phones at a flea market and retrieve the photos on them for review to see how life was back in the twenty teens? I doubt it.
All this makes me think about the storage of this forum. There is a lot of research-able data contained in this forum. I hope it is being backed up somewhere in case of a major problem, even if it is on some discs in a shoebox somewhere.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Herb, earlier this year my computer's hard drive crashed. Estimates of recovering SOME of the data start at $1K, so I haven't done it--but each day I find something else I lost with that crash. Last night I realized I lost my nice Excel spreadsheet inventorying my Piano Rolls, so now when I see rolls for sale, I don't know if I already have them or not! Augh!! It would probably take a least a week full-time to recreate that list.
Yep, I doubt in 25 years that folks will be going through boxes of pictures trying to figure out what relatives are in them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration