What do I need to test my engine?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What do I need to test my engine?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Campbell on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

I just bought an engine and transmission at an auction and thanks to Steve Jelf on here I now know that it is a 1926 engine. (manufactured April 1st 1926 - just my luck to get an April Fools engine ;-)

The engine turns over easily, and I think it was last used to run a sawmill (judging by the plank still bolted to it as a mount.

My question now is what do I need to test it to see if it runs? It has no coils and the coil box that is on it is destroyed. The cover is knocked off of the mag. Manifolds and carb are there. Remember I don't have a chassis to put it in or any of the wiring harness, testing will be done on a stand.

If I can make it work or find that it is worth fixing I will build a car around it, if not it may end up in pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

You should try to hook up with local Model T guys in the area. Someone should have an old frame, a radiator, and a gas tank that can be borrowed. You will need four coils and a coil box, plus a timer and a battery. Some sort of switch and some wiring.

It's all the same stuff you would need to fire up any old engine except for the coils and coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Be sure to anchor the stand to the floor well, or once the engine starts the whole kitten caboodle will start dancing all over the place! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

I also have a Fordor built on April 1, 1926. I thought that was cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Check this link for some test stand ideas.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/103375.html?1251429889

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration