Starter and Generator Cores

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Starter and Generator Cores
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael D. Smith on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

My late father Bill Smith, for many years rebuilt starters and generators for Snyders, Macs, Bobs and others. He left behind a huge number of starter and generator cores, cases, pole shoes, armatures and other stuff.

I'm would appreciate contact from a current builder who appreciates, values and would have use for this inventory, located in Central Michigan.

Thank you.

Mike Smith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Lang's will pay $25 each for rebuildable generator cores, and $30 each for rebuildable starter cores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

And charge you $75 and $60, respectively, if you don't have a rebuildable core.

Sell them on Ebay and get $50-$75 for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 12:12 am:

Stephan, Lang's is in business to make money. (99% of my dealings with them have been satisfactory, and they have done everything that they could to fix the 1% that were not). I wish that every business that I have dealt with had their integrity and honesty. I have no stake in Lang's, and don't care where you buy stuff. The Model T industry is small, and I don't begrudge anyone a reasonable profit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 02:28 am:

Agreed John, + you have to factor in the % that are a total right-off for repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:45 am:

Michael,

I knew your dad. He was a member of the Casual T's and a really nice guy. He and my dad used to talk a lot on T tours and events. It was on an overnighter tour to Canada that his generator froze up. It was pouring rain and we pushed his car into somebody's open garage. (Asked permission after the fact) We removed the generator and with a hacksaw, found in the garage, we cut off the generator shaft and gear, then put the generator back on to keep the oil from leaking out of the engine. Your dad was so disgusted by yet another failure that he decided he'd start rebuilding them himself. Probably around 1985 I'm thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:50 am:

Michael,

I would call Lang's, (1-800-872-7871), tell them how many of each you've got and see if they're interested and what they propose as far as getting them picked up/shipped & paid for. Doing that will get them all cleared at once without having to sell them one at a time and all the hassle that will entail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Coil Man Ron Patterson rebuilds those too. (859) 881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:29 am:

A 100% to 200% markup on cores is a small mark up, people who expect everyone else to work for free should have to do community service until they learn the value of time.
When dealing with a core, it has to be disassembled, cleaned and inspected. If you send in a starter for repair, they disassemble, clean and inspect the original core, if it is bad, then they have to do the same for a replacement core. that takes time and expertise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:49 am:

I saw Mark's post above early on and a few thoughts came to mind;
I agree with Lang's core price structure.
I rebuild generators and starters to the highest standards every day and if you buy 100 cores you will be lucky to have enough good parts for 50-60 complete rebuilds, a bunch of mixed miscellaneous usable parts and another bunch of parts that are worn out, modified or for various reasons scrap. I have fifty-five gallon barrels in my shop full of usable parts.
The "patch them up" crowd can do better because they are willing to overlook things that, will in the long term, affect reliability.
I will buy cores only after looking them over to see what's missing or cannot used and only after satisfying myself key parts are present and usable will I pay $25. As an example; a missing or badly damaged brush plate lowers the price to $10.
Mikes offer is enticing, but you must see them and move them and that is a serious problem in terms of cost and logistics.
I love to tell people that "when you and I look at a ignition coil, starter or generator core we both see two different things"
Just my ramblings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Cheers to Michael Smith for coming to this community to find a good home for stuff that obviously meant something to his father.

Prices and logistics aside, it's refreshing to see someone take the initiative than just discarding the items as is all too often the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

The real problem is the armature is the most likely part to fail if the cutout opens and that will cost you almost $200 to replace or have rewound.

Then too, the cutout is the most likely part to fail and burn out the armature, unless you have a Fun Projects diode unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

Be careful how you throw around the all inclusionary "patch them up" crowd analogy. I seem to recall a different view when I once said I don't bother testing generator armatures for a rebuild.

It takes about 10 minutes to determine if a starter core is good. But maybe I'm fast because I have RA and use electric drivers. Cleaning isn't particularly necessary for inspection unless it was pulled out of a tar pot. The cleaning will be done at rebuild time. It's not likely you'll get your same core back from the vendors as a "new" starter unless by special request.

The primary parts are:
1. The yoke
2. End plates (Bell and mount)
3. Brush plate
4. Armature core and shaft
5. Pole shoes

Everything else gets replaced and included in rebuild costs unless you get lucky and some of the brush holders, springs and the lead wire is usable. And maybe the field coil cores if they weren't overheated.

And I sure know the value of time. It's around $0.10 an hour for me and about $0.15 an hour for my machining time. :-)

Yet, about the only thing I show any malediction for (then laugh at) is when I find the lead wire wrapped with electrical tape. Man, that torques me. So stop doing it! ;)

Well, this thread has drifted but I don't see any vender buying the parts if they have to be shipped. Perhaps someone can piggy back a load if it's on the way--Jim?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration