Clutch spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clutch spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

A friend of mine has a very stiff spring in his clutch. It is quite hard to push into low or neutral and very hard not to pop into high. Is there any way to reduce the tension of that spring?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

Tell him to learn to use it as is and to exercise his left leg! :-) And no, not without tearing down the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:12 am:

That's sad, because he has a bad left ankle. He has no problem with the spring in my car. I have driven his and, yes, it is much stiffer than the spring on any other T I have driven.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Wouldn't backing off the clutch adjusting screws help, as long as the clutch doesn't slip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:29 am:

See Chapter XIV, page 139 of the Ford Model T service manual, it gives the in-car procedure for changing the high clutch spring. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

You would still have to pull the motor foreword or pull the rear end to do the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

The service manual procedure shows pulling the rear end back and pushing the ball down to get it out of line from the hogshead. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

I think we will try adjusting the fingers and if that doesn't do the trick, change the spring. I wonder if he has a watts clutch or a jackrabbit clutch? Have no idea. He bought the car as it now is. I have a couple of standard Ford springs. Maybe one of them would work.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

If you decide to do the swap, please be sure to check the load of the spring you take out and compare it to the standard Ford springs and let us know how they compare, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

I wonder if some one has added one of these; https://www.modeltford.com/item/3340SP.aspx
give the spring a little more oomph. Norman; do you know what your spring compression weight is? Ball park is about 90 to 115 LBs when compressed to 2 inches. Adjusting the clutch fingers is not going to change the spring load as it has to be still compressed X amount to remove tension from the fingers. Watts or Jackrabbit, same thing, does not effect the spring tension. The part of easy to pop into high sounds like an adjustment, has too short of a window between low when the band is no longer contacting the drum and high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Donald gave the right solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

If it's one of the "original" Watts clutch springs that is "round wound" - too freaking much pressure !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Thanks Steve, it's been so long I had forgotten about the issues with the original Watts clutch spring, thanks for the reminder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Odd, I use one of the "round wound" Watts springs with my Watts clutch, and I haven't got any problems with a hard pedal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

How long's it been in there Roger ? I replaced a Watts round spring from in a customer's speedster for being "tight" and it actually had worn the brass clutch throw out fork nearly in two from so much pressure against the throw out steel collar ! It had been in there since Watts (from Oregon) came out with his "friction" material clutch packs years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

The problem with the Watts clutch was mainly that they would slip off the sliding disc or spring retainer and loose compression.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration