Weeping Freeze Plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Weeping Freeze Plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

A couple of years ago, we replaced all three freeze plugs because they were weeping. They've started weeping again, ugh, and causing a bit of a mess on the engine.

I would like a temporary solution that would prevent weeping short of replacing them again. I've got other things to work on now and don't want to drain it and redo the plugs.

Are there any shortcut options for a temporary solution to this problem? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

I don't have a good temp fix to suggest. Maybe try a little RTV if you can keep it dry long enough for it to set up.

I can tell you what not to do. One of mine started weeping at OCF and I thought I would tap it a little more. A more experienced T guy than me told me he had a similar weep and tapped his a little more and shortly there after it blew out completely. I let it weep through OCF, but the next week the weep started bugging me and I thought what harm could tapping it a little do? 1 week later it blew out completely. Resist the urge to tap it!

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

JB Weld Quik. Smear it on. The Quik version works well for horizontal app, sets fast and seals. Been there done it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

I don't know how to cure the weeping without replacing them, but I can tell you something not to use. I put mine in with old style Permatex #1.

I found that hot coolant made it become hard and brittle and start to leak.

I'll try RTV next time and see if that works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

I used Canadian nickels with a bit of a dome added in mine. Less expensive than the commercial brass one. Avoid steel, it will rust out on you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 04:30 am:

Black RTV sealer. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Never should have changed 'em from pipe plugs !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

I have always used JB Weld. No leaks ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

Same here as Royce. Never an issue with JB Weld. The Marine version is a putty similar to the Quik and will set up when parts are wet (and vertical). I always smear the seam between the plug and the hole for a good seal. No weeping - ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Maybe drain out enough antifreeze below the freeze plugs until after whatever you use has had time to set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

I'm leaning toward the JB weld since it has proven reliable for Dan and Royce and others, but how do I get them out if and when I need to replace them? Will the JB weld let me pop them out if that becomes necessary?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Eric,
I had a situation once where I needed to remove some JB weld. A modest application of heat from a torch and the stuff turned to powder. Problem solved! Not sure why I thought of it, but I recall another poster here with the same idea. It works!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

Excellent. Sounds like a perfect temporary (and adequately reversible) solution. Thanks to all for the advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

I have used the rvt black on our race cars freeze plugs but wouldn't want it on a street car. After just a season or two they already look bad when your go through the engines again. Just my experience with the black glue. We use to put Indian head glue on freeze plugs when I was a kid because it was cheap but nasty. Indian head might no be politically correct but that's what the bottle said!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Should have said RTV

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration