Rear end leaks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear end leaks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Mine leaks at the outer tubes from 3rd member. Is this fixable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

I'm not sure what that is. You mean here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Monday, December 05, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

3rd member is the center. the axle tubes goes inside the gear housing, it leaks out by the inner bearing. Is there a way of stopping this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:38 am:

rick,

"3rd member" is not a term any Model T guy would recognize. Got any photos? Do you mean it leaks where the axle tubes enter the differential case? If so, what year of T do you have, since construction details vary greatly from early to late production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:04 am:

You have to strip the housings, clean them and braze or silver solder the tube / rivet area.

Or just live with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:27 am:

I do not consider my T's differential to be leaking. I consider my T to be marking it's territory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:50 am:

To me it appears that he is referring to the area inside the brake drum. Which means he at least needs seals. The pattern left on the axle tube looks like oil seepage from the shackles. Though there doesn't seem to be an oiler cup. If it is leaking at the tube and backing plate joint you would think there would be an oil stain on the bottom of the tube and radiating up, not at the top. You would also think that if it is leaking there you would see oil migration from under and to the rear because of air flow when driving. I would think you would not see oil seepage at the top from driving and certainly not when parked. But I'm probably wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:53 am:

By the way you need to put a nut & pin on that shackle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

If its only a slow seep and not dripping out I wouldn't worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

John T
It appears your looking at Steves rear end

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

If you are referring to the oily stained area around the rivets where the backing plate is fastened to the tube, you will notice it is right under the spring shackle, that might be caused by oiling the shackles and some oil dripping down. If you oil them regularly, there might be quite a bit of oil there. Just wipe it good and see if you can determine where it is coming from. If it is the shackles, you do not have a problem. Just wipe it after you oil the shackles.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

Dallas good catch, your right! I do wish however you would have worded your statement a bit differently. (PC Police) not that there's anything wrong with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

I thought it was funny. Hoping you would
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

It`s not leaking out by the shackles, I`m talking about center of rearend. where the axle tube inters the ring gear housing, where the rivets are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Rick, what year is your T ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

It's a longshot, but if it's leaking from the rivets, you could try cleaning the are really well, then smear a fast-hardening RTV material (the right stuff?) onto and around the rivets. Maybe the goo would harden and seal the area before it got contaminated by the leaking oil. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

It`s a26-27

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Dallas I thought it was hysterical. Note the politically correct statement by me following my rebuke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Back out the bolts holding the drive shaft tube to the axle and put some gasket sealer in the area. You might need to do some disassembly of the torque rods in order to get this to move away. Put gasket sealer in that area and also in the area where the outer tube of the drive shaft meets the bearing sleeve. Then bolt things back up.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

Clarity would help (so would pictures). But it sounds like he is saying between the rivets and pumpkin (a not entirely correct term but often accepted by most in the model T world) where the tube is riveted just outside the center. However, without looking closely, there are other possibilities, including the pinion spool to pumpkin attachment, and the pumpkin seam itself. Or even a crack in the pumpkin itself. I have seen each of those cause leaking oil onto the rivets. Another consideration, if engine oil is getting past the U-joint and diluting the rear-end grease? Any minor leak will appear to be a lot more. Do check the rear-end grease to make sure it is not too thin, or overfull. Also check to make sure the U-joint has good grease in it, not something way too thin.

Where the axle tube is connected into the pumpkin should be tight, and has to be strong. However, minor leaks there are common. Proper rear-end grease will leave a stain and attract dust which makes it look like it might be a problem. But if that is all it is, it really isn't a problem.
If it a little worse than that? There are many possibilities. Could be nothing more than vibration on rough roads for too many decades. Could be the rear-end got sprung a little, or a lot and then straightened. Springing the pumpkin and tubes can shrink the tubes or stretch the pumpkin casting slightly. Vibration loosens rivets. Leaks ensue. If the damage is minor? It won't even make the rear-end mechanically unsafe. Just an annoying leak. It becomes a judgement call.
Brazing of rivets and housing joints was and is a common fix. Arguably, it may be a good fix? Or not. Full disassembly and thorough cleaning of the housing before brazing makes a big difference. If there is no apparent sign of other structural defect? Just thorough cleaning and some epoxies or other sealants may be adequate. Some people recommend silver solder, but I have never used it for something like this. I do use it for brass repairs.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration