Found this tool in the car. but what is it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Found this tool in the car. but what is it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 02:35 am:

Something to do with the wheels or a jack?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 05:24 am:

I kept googling and it's a rim splitter. No idea how to use it but I have one ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Purgert on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 06:49 am:

Hey Shawn,

This thread should explain how to use it. The pictures are really helpful!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/37596.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:15 am:

I see the crank has been broken and brazed. be careful putting very much crank pressure on it, that handle could break suddenly at the repair and hurt you. These things are cheap, buy another one to actually use. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Here' instructions I found online, hope you can read it.
Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:16 am:

That braze repair looks good to me as being cast iron it broke when someone threw it on the floor!! Bud,in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

A very nice tool to have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

I have a similar tool, except the threads are reversed and the arms work on compression.
The box and paperwork say it is a fragrant mound condensor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure if I will be changing the rubber, looks kinda unsafe :-)

Big thanks to Howard for the picture and Andrew for the link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

There was one under the front seat when I bought my T too. It had a lot of writing on the body and arms. "PACIFIC BALLOON RIMTOOL, MADE IN ENGLAND, JUNIOR MODEL FOR LIGHT RIMS, NOT FOR GARAGE USE, PAT IN ENG CANADA & USA OTHERS PENDING."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

That is a very helpful tool for the 25-27 split rims. You hook the tool and retract the rim so that the tire can be removed and another tire can be placed. Then you reverse the tool and crank the opposite way to expand the rim to fit the tire. It was only used on the Model T for the 4.50x21 tires. The wire spoke wheels used the same size tires but had a drop center rim so you didn't need the tool.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:35 am:

Almost impossible to line up the rim ends and expand them enough to lock it in place. This tool makes it easy. A must have for split rims. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration