Channel for mounting windshield glass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Channel for mounting windshield glass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 06:38 am:

The channel for bedding glass in a T windshield frame is so expensive. I am planning to replace the original glass for safety glass in my '23 runabout.

Does anyone out there have a good working but cheaper alternative for the flexible brass channel insert? I see some possibilities in brass, copper or lead in the stained glass culture. The window frames on a '23 don't have any curves, so a channel with a simple miter should work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:54 am:

Mark: PM me I have some NOS pcs, may be able to help. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:48 am:

If you are not too concerned with being original,
the local auto-glass shop should be able to mount safety glass with windshield "glazing".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

JD...The windshield goes on the front of the car not in the back seat! Where the heck are the people going to sit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

Mark was the old brass nickel plated channel in really bad shape are or was it just tarnished.

Good brass channel can be found in old frames on Ebay or at some of the antique car classifieds.

The new channel is really expensive. You can buy some really good original frames with the channel in good shape for what you have to pay for the new channel alone. It usually just has to be removed and polished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

But when you polish the nickel plated channel - DONT USE A BUFFER WHEEL it'll turn your channel into a pretzel !! And don't ask me how I know this :o(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 09:50 am:

I just used some polishing cloths that are available at Ace hardware stores. You can also use the cloths on headlight reflectors. More than a few headlight reflectors have been thrown away when all they needed was to be polished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

Be careful polishing--that nickel plating is THIN. I have a Caswell nickel brush plating kit--think it was about $30, I have used it to nickel plate repro brass glass channel; did a very nice job of it; I think it could be used to replate polished-through original glass channels.
I'm going to try to do spark and throttle rods and steering cases sometime too. I bought the kit to do small player piano parts and toy train parts, but found it useful for other stuff too. (For instance I re-copper-ed an oil can with it (it has a copper plating solution with it, for prepping for nickel plating on some metals.)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration