Does Amp Gauge need to be grounded? Location on wood dash car?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Does Amp Gauge need to be grounded? Location on wood dash car?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:36 am:

Creating a WWI patrol vehicle using a 1915 with a 26/27 drivetrain in it. Got it wired up today using the mostly 26/27 wiring diagram. Key and lights work off battery. Mags are totally discharged and working with them is for another winter weekend.
Not getting any reading on the amp gage, so presume it needs to be grounded somehow. It's mounted in a metal bracket, but that is all mounted to a woden firewall. Do I need some sort of jumper ground wire from this bracket to the engine or frame? Presume would need good contact from the gage to the bracket free of paint as well. Or do I somehow come up with a ground wire direct from the amp gage housing to the engine or frame?

Obviousely a FrankenT, so open to suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:38 am:

No, the ammeter does not need to be grounded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Hmmmmm so back to the wiring diagram. If my generator was not working properly, I guess this would show up on the gage as well.

TO THE VOLTMETER!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:02 am:

One side of the ammeter is connected to the generator through the cutout. The other side is connected to the battery. (there are several connections in between each end point). When the engine is running above idle, the needle should be pointing to charge (+). When the lights are on the needle should point toward discharge(-). You could have a loose or open connection at any point between the generator and the battery. Often the problem is in the cutout. With the engine running at a fast idle, try connecting a wire between the post at the top of the generator and the post on the cutout which is connected to a wire. Do this quickly after the engine is running and have someone look at the ammeter. If it shows charge, the cutout is open and needs to be replaced. If no open connections are found and the wire across the cutout doesn't provide charge, you need to check the generator itself.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Norm, thank you for the quick and easy "how to" even I can follow that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Think we are good to go. Waiting on some wire and terminals to do it right, but ran a jumper wire from generator to the amp gage and amp gage does move two notches to the charge side when the car is starting and at a fast idle. Does not seem to move up any as rpm's increase.
But we put a meter on the generator and we get 6v at idle and 6.3 v at a faster rpm.
Don't have the lights connected yet, so can't read the discharge. But it looks like we are good to go with the 6v battery.

Want to research this 36v magnet charging process before we try that, but it's on the schedule for some day when we can putll the 12v battereies out of our three vehicles and borrow them for the day.

Kinda looking forward to that. My son is looking for his Boy Scout compass and I've got a nice brass one from WWI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Notice that the wiring diagram Ron posted labels the ammeter as just that,.....an AMMETER!

Speedometer - NOT speed gage, right?

Ammeter - NOT amp gage

We preserve/restore old cars in our hobby, and we need to preserve automotive terminology too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Makes sense. I'll try to remember. But, for now, it's out to the garage...
ooops, I'm sorry.... the barn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Yes and to be even more correct, the word gage is spelt gauge.

Webster Dictionary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 02:47 am:

Frank,.... hmmmm,...."spelt" or "spelled". Ha, ha,..... just kidding you Frank, (:^) but it is kinda' fun, this language thing. I have relatives in England and Australia and from time to time, we have fun in our family with "The King's English", American English, and a third "variety" from "down under". It's fun! And to be perfectly honest about it, it's also sometimes frustrating. Certainly wish that the young folks (mostly) nowadays, would quit saying "like" for absolutely no good reason! But again, it is interesting that such things develop in our language and just seem to grow and grow.

Thanks for your research on gage/guage. That's one that I never have been too sure about. I think it's interesting that some words/terms are actually misused and abused so much, and sometimes so consistently for long enough that eventually, society tends to accept them as correct, despite "Daniel Webster" and the rest. Again, I think it's interesting (and fun).

Sorry to stray away so far from your original post subject Robert, however, it does sound to me like once again, the forum has come through for you via "those who know',..... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:07 am:

A bit more off the track, we had a few years ago, the education department was going to fail all year 12 students for doing the final exam in text form. LOL. and rightly so, that's the only one I remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:41 am:

Absotively posilutely. In my case, the written books and photographs are of little value. The forum members and my computer are my lifeline.

Thanks to all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration