WASHERS FOR HEAD BOLTS?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: WASHERS FOR HEAD BOLTS?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

ENGINE # 3313792--1919 w STARTER
Do I need washers for my new head bolts?

Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

Don't think so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

I believe if the threads in the block are clean down to the bottom of their bores and the block/head haven't been shaved down too much then washers aren't required. Mine had washers when I got it so I just put them back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

Greetings Paul,

I assume that you are using an original head. If you are using an aluminum head the manufacturer recommends washers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

Or if you are trying to install a low head with high head bolts. Otherwise, clean the holes out land dry fit the head without gasket. The head bolts should go all the way down without the gasket on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

In ALL cases it's a Very good practice to install the head without the gasket and check to make sure the bolts do not bottom out. Also make sure all head bolts are the same length. That's a perfect time to crank over the engine to insure the pistons have clearance as well.

Yes, the alum Z head comes with washers that protect the head.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration