Accessing lower oil flip cap?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Accessing lower oil flip cap?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Sorry, I posted in the classifieds by mistake first......

What is the best way to move the shackles and at oil the lower cap?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

Depending on your paint, etc, you can get a pry bar and stick it under the spring, and it will raise it high enough to get to the oiler. I don't know what that other bracket is for in the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Other bracket? I think we're looking at the square end second leaf sitting on top of the main leaf. Looks a little odd due to the closeup view and camera angle.

I agree with Larry, you can probably pry the shackle over enough to get an oil can spout into the bottom oiler. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Jack the back of the car up taking the weight off the spring. It should expose the oiler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

John,that is a front spring....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

This did the trick!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Just squirt a little oil at each end of the bushing and don't worry about the oiler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 10:44 am:

What Ted said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 10:54 am:

Mine don't have the flip oiler. Just a hole in the spring. When my springs were made, apparently the hole was drilled before the end was rolled because the hole is tapered and an oiler wouldn't stay in place.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:10 am:

The compact style of flip top oilers used on the 1918-27 springs isn't reproduced, so if you haven't got any good original oilers, you may have to leave the holes open for oil (and dirt..)
My choice was to use homemade delrin/teflon plastic bushings that doesn't need to be oiled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:47 am:

When installing those oilers, be careful to install them in the proper direction so you can flip the cover on the oiler. I just did mine last week, and didn't have to jack or pry anything, but I did use NOS oilers, so maybe that's the reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Upon inspection of the original photo, that oiler was installed incorrectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Thanks Jack, I've got to go see my optometrist.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration