Screw driver

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Screw driver
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Did you ever have trouble getting a screw started in a tight space ? these drivers have helped me for years. most recently during my bendix cover replacement. they only work for slot screws . the short one is from mac tools and the other is snap on . some of you guys probably have this type of screw starter but if you don't you might be using language like i do sometimes for that easy difficult job. Ken screw starter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

I have had one for years. It is great. I hate slotted screws, but since the T uses them exclusively, one must adapt. One of my first jobs when I bought my '27 Touring was to get rid of the half-dozen Phillips screws that had been installed over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Best thing since sliced bread! I have some in the tool box for many years. The other handy one has 4 claw-like wires that are extended by a spring loaded button/plunger on the end of the handle. This type will work on a variety of threaded fasteners. Can't find a good photo from the tool sites to show it though. The ones I have are paid for a 100 times over!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

Ken, I would like to buy some screw drivers like these. I went on line at both Macs and Snap On and could not find them. Do they have a special name other than slotted screw drivers? Thx. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Try 'Screw Starter'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

I love slotted screws. A Phillips head can get buggered and you can't do anything about it. You can clean up a slotted screw with a hack saw blade. Now you can't even find them at the big box stores like Home Depot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

I need to try them because the Bendix cover is a pain with a regular screw driver. For sure! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

They do make one for Phillips also, I started using a straight one way back when for the distributor screws that held the points and condenser in place. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

Another handy little idea I came up with, if you need a magnetic screw driver and don't have one, you might have a small magnet, attach it to the shank. Instant poor man's magnetic driver! Works quite well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Two are Herbrand one is a Proto the others are no name. Jim

drivers1drivers2drivers3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

Two are Herbrand one is a Proto the others are no name. Also one has a magnet on the other end. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

Whoops! So much for trying to edit a post. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 10:42 am:

I have a couple of the type shown and also 2 of the split shank type, one long one and one short one, they work very well:
Split screw starter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 06:23 am:

...and here I've been using a dab of grease like a chump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

They are called "Monday Morning screwdrivers" Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration