Carb rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carb rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

Hear that Stan Howie is the man in regards to rebuilding Model T carbs
Looking to see if anybody has his contact information
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:39 am:

http://www.strombergof.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:57 am:

Mr, Steve, Thank you sir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Stan Howe is the man if you have a high quality after market carb, like a Stromberg OF or a very early T carb like a 4 or 5 ball variety. I don't think he bothers with the run of the mill stock Holley or Kingston style carbs. If it is one of these stock models then I think Russ Potter is your man. Unfortunately I don't have his contact information available, but I'm sure someone on here will post if for you soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Fritz on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

I have a leaky Holley H1 (I gather there may not be another kind) on my 14 touring. Is a rebuild possible/advisable on this model or should I replace it? My research suggests it's a 1912 part so may not be correct for a 1914 car. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

The Holley H1 can be a great running carburetor. Whatever is leaking should be easy to fix unless it has a crack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Howdy, just saw this thread. Thanks for the recommendations, Steve Hughes is right, I do not do NH carbs or the Kingston L series. I do Kingston 4 and 5 ball, Holley G and earlier including the H1 for Model T. I am not taking any new work until the 15th of January and am still buried in work although I have been cranking out as many as I can get done.

Much of my work is the early brass carbs for Model T but the major portion any more is high end brass carbs for other makes. Today I am trying to get a Stromberg OX-3 finished for a MOON in San Diego and an OS-2 for a Jewett in Holland. I simply cannot take time from jobs like that to do an NH rebuild.

It is cold here, supposed to be 10-15 below tonight, fortunately the power company finally turned the gas back on to the shop and office after over two months of spending time and money to move a meter and get the piping to meet current code which it had to do since we interrupted service with the meter move. That has helped as I am not fooling with trying to keep the shop warm with wood and a couple electric heaters. So I am back working most days again, I have pretty much resolved the health problems I was having last spring and summer and am walking much better.

I have said this before and will say it again. There is a great opportunity in this hobby for someone to do quality rebuild work even if you restricted your business to only a few models. I would guess that you could have all the work you could possibly stand just doing NH's. Russ Potter has done them from many years but is now spending the winter in his southern home and tapering off doing carb work. He and I are about the same age, we are both slowing down some and I have a lot of other business and personal things going on including two teenagers I am helping (I think I'm helping) raise. I am also still playing some music including a benefit for the homeless/food pantry 150 miles away Friday night. I will be closing the door to the shop about 2 pm and heading out for that. I go to EVERY Volleyball, Track, Cross Country, Music, Academic event my friend's daughter is in and will continue to do that no matter what the carb business is doing or demanding.

Someone with some ambition and a small shop needs to pick up the slack in the Holley NH and related business; do a good job and make some money doing it. I have a well equipped shop but to do NH's and do them right would neither take much equipment or much room. A small media blast cabinet, a small lathe and drill press/mini mill, hand tolls and some reamers etc. would put someone in business. Then do a total rebuild! Not just the slap dash job some people do. Do 'em once, do 'em right and the Model T world would beat a path to your door. Or UPS would anyway.

That said, probably at least 10% of what I get in has already been through some shop and still won't run. NH's are more complex than people give them credit for and good cores are harder and harder to find. I slapped my hand several times when Layden had all those nice NH cores and parts in the classifieds a couple months ago hoping some one would buy them who would take my suggestion to learn to do a good rebuild on them and take up that section of the business. It was a great deal but I know I would never have time to do anything with them. I am 30-40 behind all the time working on any kind of brass carb. I have one that needs to go back in time to be in the Rose Bowl parade. It's getting closer.

I have taken only two or three new repair jobs in since the 1st of June when I decided I had to get caught up some before I started losing track of what was here waiting to be done and had a mental collapse over trying to wade through them. It is an interesting business but has reached the point a few times where it has taken over my life. As some of you may recall, I did not take my usual week off to go to Chickasha last year because I had some carbs that needed doing. I am just too damn old to work that hard and worry that much.

There is an opportunity to do them and make some money. Maybe somebody reading this will step in and make some money and help the hobby.

Back to the shop. Back to the shop. Chinese takeout for supper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:04 pm:

Russ Potter contact email:
carbking@soltec.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 01:06 am:

As far as I know, Russ is in Florida for the winter and isn't doing any carb work this time of year. That is second hand info from a guy who contacted him recently. I'm sure he will get any email sent to him tho.

BTW, it is 11:05 here and I just came in from the shop. That is why I don't have time to do NH's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 10:16 am:

RUSS IS HOME AND PROBABLY IN HIS SHOP AS I TYPE THIS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 11:51 am:

Well, Ronald, if you think I'm out looking for business by trying to be helpful, you need to look at what I wrote about being busy and not doing NH's. I'm not trying to cut Russ or anybody else out of any business and if you will read what I wrote and tell your friend Russ what I wrote, I'm sure he would agree. Russ and I have talked about this several times at Chickasha -- how much work there is and that no one we know of is stepping up to do it and do quality work as an actual business.

I will be 74 in a couple weeks. Russ is about my age. Nobody lives forever and few people work in to their 90's. Somebody could find a good retirement business in just rebuilding NH's and one or two other models of Model T carburetors. Neither he or I will be here forever and I'm thinking about pulling the plug in another year or so, selling some of my property here and spending a lot more time in Texas than I do now when it is cold and dark in Montana. The last I talked to Russ a couple years ago at Chickasha he told me he was down to 3 1/2 days a week in the shop and taking time off in the winter to go to his place in the south.

I'm sorry you took offense at what I wrote and felt it necessary to "SHOUT" but as I said, a guy told me that he had contacted Russ a couple weeks ago and his understanding was that Russ was headed for Florida in a few days. Apparently that is not so. Email goes all over and as I said, I'm sure he will get any email sent to him.

Think about this: Is it any wonder so many of the people who really have knowledge of the Model T and could and would share that knowledge with other do NOT follow or post on this forum??? Is it any wonder it is so hard to get new people involved?? I have been part of the Model T world since 1954 when I got my first T and had been fooling with one with a year older friend for a couple years before that. I used to spend hours posting what helpful information I could share and at times several hours a day on the phone or emailing people to help them with problems or mentoring them. NowI seldom post anything much on here and most of the really knowledgeable people I know in the hobby don't post much if they post at all.

If you are trying to start something between Russ and I ---- it won't work. We have gotten along very well since the first time I met him, he sends me business and I send him business. It is good for both of us. I had 4 emails last night when I came in from the shop of people wanting me to do NH's for them. I told them all to contact Russ or to contact me again after the 1st of February and see how my schedule was looking.

Also, if you are suffering from the delusion that I need to round up a little more Model T carb business to survive the cold Montana winter ---- you don't know me. I'm pretty solvent just as I am.

FYI - my carburetor web site has had 29,885 visitors as of this morning. My machinery & collector vehicle sales site has had 16,152, my auction business site has had 20,770 since I reset the counter a couple years ago. My music site has had over 10,000 but is down now as we are redoing the site prior to the release of my new CD. Did you listen to my Dec 6th radio show on Montana Public Radio??? You should have. It was all about Christmas, giving, being kind and enjoying the Holiday. Are you coming to the Charity dance in Livingston tomorrow night? I'm donating my time to a Western Swing Band that is donating their time to raise money for the needy and homeless.

Merry Christmas......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

Stan, look at the bright side, when you no longer want to do carbs you can always write more Herman & Freida stories.

Merry Christmas !!

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Stan
My shout-out was not intended to stir -up anything or that I took offense to your post.
It was just to let the forum members know that Russ is not in Florida. I had dinner with him twice last week and he will be coming to my house for dinner on Wednesday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

Tell him hello when you next see him from his friends in Montana.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration