A Couple 1926 questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A Couple 1926 questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:47 am:

Hi folks
I have a couple question about a 1926.
The front fender. Do you use bolts or rivets to hold the bracket to the fender? Both front fenders has the holes but nothing attaching the fender to the bracket on the outside of the fender. I am not sure if they were bolted or riveted.
Drag Link. Why is it you cannot find a Steering connecting. rod, (drag link) for a 1926? is there another year that will fix or do you just need to try to find a good used one. Looks like mine has a very old repair and would like to replace it.
Drag Link

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:55 am:

Mine on the 27 are riveted. I Cant answer the question about the drag link but I would try and find a good used one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Gerald. There are several different lengths of drag links. Here is a link to a study I did awhile back on the drag links. It will show the different lengths and years of use.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/478761.html

have fun and be safe , Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Gerald. I forgot to mention that the fender braces are riveted to the lip of the fender.

If you have not seen the studies yet, you can search the "key word" search for the words "improved models a study of" (remove italics) then change the "look in" box to subject lines and hit search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Gerald, the fenders are held on with rivets. However, you can take a 1/4 inch carriage bolt, chuck it up in a drill press and dress up the head with a file to remove the lettering and get the edges sharpened up so they look like the rivets. The only way you can tell I did this is to look up inside the fender and unless this is a show car, no one will know. Oh, yes, you will need to take the shoulders off the square under the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

That is the information I was looking for. Thank you
I will get some of the carriage bolts and put them in the lathe to file the head and smooth out the shoulder. Looks like I am looking for the 30 7/8 drag-link since it is a late 26.

Thanks again
Gerald

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration