How to change tires?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How to change tires?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

So how do you change a T tire? Take it to a tire shop or do it yourself? If do it yourself any preferred tools?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Cook on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Do it yourself. Tire irons probably needed, some use motorcycle tire irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s-iD-CH7yg

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/131473.html?1269206348

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

I don't remember whether your car has clinchers or split rims. That's relevant. Either way, warm tires are a lot easier to mount than cold ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Clinchers I think. Who is the preferred tire/tube/flap source? I have 30 inchers. Same tread all the way around? My front wooden spokes 4 each are somewhat loose. Only 1 in the back is loose. Mine are in need of refurbishing. What color are they supposed to be painted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

[URL=http://s738.photobucket.com/user/thomc1957/media/1127160829_zpshmzckzve.jpg.html][IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/thomc1957/1127160829_zpshmzckzve.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Go to Harbor Freight. The tire spoons are 5.99 each. You probably only need two. The BIG hammer is 7.00 or 8.00. Buy some Go-Jo for lube and you will be set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

I just mounted 2 COLD tires and COLD flaps on 21 inch split rims.

NEVER AGAIN!

Warm them up. I have one to do next month and the tire and flap are coming into the house for awhile first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Definitely do it yourself. Once, I was towing a Model A, and one of the tires went flat. The nearest service station had and older attendant in charge, so I figured he'd know how to do it. He didn't, or couldn't remember, or whatever, At any rate, I showed him how to do it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

The spokes are traditionally black but (IF I remember correctly), a person could have them de-blacked (stripped back to natural) at the dealer.
My '18 roadster's non-demountable wheels happened to come to me in natural finish. They're beautiful! :-)
Some cars do look best in black wheels tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

I just swapped a tire, tube and flap from one rim to another with motorcycle tire irons and a pry bar, I was surprised how easy it was and it was in 40 degree weather. I was expecting a struggle.
Now try changing the tire on a Harley... that's a task!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

For my '21, I'm thinking of using non-painted spokes but painting the felloes black. You probably should , if you are physically able, to do your T tire repair yourself. I took the first one after I got my car , to a local tire store and they pretty much ruined a tube. I will continue to buy tires from them for my late model vehicles, but do my T tires myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

All these guys are steering you the wrong way if they tell you to remove the wheel from the car. No one would have ever done that in the days when Model T's were daily drivers. It is just unnecessary work.

Ignacio's car has clincher tires so any comments about 21 inch tires are wasted here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Those loose spokes are a red flag. If they were wood felloe wheels I'd send them to a wheelwright for new wood. But you have demountable clinchers with steel felloes. That means you can rewood the wheels yourself. You can buy new spokes, build a Regan press, and install them yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZ7WrfHdf8 (Be sure you read the notes with the video.)

Black vs natural: It's a matter of personal taste. If you're aiming for authenticity, you want black for your car. "Natural" wheels are a modern fad. They were available as a dealer option near the end of production, but you won't see many of them in period photos. A lot of today's T owners are willing to depart from authenticity because they want to show off the wood.

Where to buy tires: Coker, Wallace Wade, Lucas Classic Tire, and most of the parts dealers. If you're partial to a particular brand, you can look at the various dealers and see who sells what. You're buying based on price and appearance. Quality, or lack thereof, doesn't apply, as all clincher brands come from the same factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 07:11 am:

Easy way to change a clincher tire is here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/256320.html?1325091009

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 07:43 am:

I agree with Royce, leave the wheel on the car. I've tried it wheel on and wheel off. Much easier with the wheel on the car. And- motorcycle tire irons tend to be short , some as short as 8". Forget them and get some longer ones. The ones that I got from Harbor Freight are 24" long.I wouldn't want anything less.
I figured out what the local tire store guys didn't understand when they tried to fix mine. They put one bead over the rim , then tried to stuff the tube into the tire and get the stem through the hole.Since the stem was so long they had a hard time getting the stem through the hole and actually pulled the brass inner part of the stem out of the tube. To save the tube I removed the rubber stem , or what was left of it, and installed a brass stem and patched the hole where they had pinched the tube. It has since leaked down so I will have to remove it again and look for another pinched place on the tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Royce, I just reviewed your post and was wondering what is going on in this photo. Are you using a galvanized strip nailed or screwed into your clincher rims instead of flaps, or did you polish the inside of your rims?

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

I suspect it's -

red

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

I just bought a pair of Non Skid Firestone tires from Ebay... WOW what a deal I got but I couldn't order any more from the guy but they did come wrapped and in a couple of days!

I probably have the same Duct tape as Royce has on his rims just to give an added layer of protection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

It is duct tape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

I have used duct tape exactly as that but mine never looks so smooth and nice!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

Glad to see that Royce uses duct tape. I have for years but a friend and master T mechanic claims that if the brakes are applied hard the tire will slip and break the valve stem. I laughed and said the only way I could make the car stop that quickly would be to throw a pipe into the wheel spokes. He didn't laugh!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration