OT - Interesting Tooling and Video for Mounting Solid Rubber Tire onto Clincher Rim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Interesting Tooling and Video for Mounting Solid Rubber Tire onto Clincher Rim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Interesting tooling and video! I wonder if a similar tool would be helpful in mounting pneumatic clincher tires?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E72cMG9L1I

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Very interesting to see.
Thanks Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

My dad's 1900 Waverley has straight side rims. There are wires inside the rubber and they are welded at the seam where the two ends of the rubber meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 12:53 am:

That tyre was cut to length with a knife, so there was no wire in it. The tooling would be of no use mounting a clincher tyre on a T rim, as the bead needs to be stretched to go over the rim sides. There is no join to allow the tyre to go on piece at a time like the solid rubber tyre in the video. Certainly an interesting video. I would hazzard a guess that the wheel is for a low speed horse drawn vehicle.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 01:40 am:

It was explained in the comments section of the video that there was no wire in it. In the U.S. wire is common for hard rubber carriage and early automobile tires. High wheel bicycle tires also have a wire in them.

It's a different procedure which does not require a clincher rim or beads on the rubber.

One or more wires run the length of the tire in side the rubber. The ends of the wire(s) are welded together. That is what holds the rubber tire on the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Allan, I see your point about a clincher bead needing to be stretched. Too bad! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration