Must Carry Tools

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Must Carry Tools
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

Hello Every one this is my first post and have recently gotten my first T. I have read several post about what tools originally came with our model t's but I haven't really seen any thing about what everyone carries. I see a post here or there of something that someone always has but not a complete list. So everyone what tools and items do you never leave home without. Thank you in advanced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Welcome to the forum and the hobby! This should give you plenty of ideas:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tou ring%20tool%20list%20mtfca

(Message edited by cudaman on December 07, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Matt,
A Spare Timer assembly is a good idea. Don't ask me how I know this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

Mark,

You posted some very nice lists here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/445374.html?1400312022

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

Welcome to the addiction (hobby)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Hi Matt! Welcome. As well as tools, carry some spare parts. I don't know the year of your T or if you've got coils or a distributor, but:

- Timer, (as already mentioned above)
- Generator
- Spark plugs
- Coils, (original style)
- Ignition coil, (if distributor equipped)
- Condenser, (if distributor equipped)
- Cap/Rotor, (if distributor equipped)
- Fan Belt
- Oil, (couple quarts at least)
- Water, (till you know if she boils or not)
- JB Weld, (cause "stuff" happens)
- Head light bulbs
- Plier, (to check oil petcocks)

All I can think of for now...

I see you're from Michigan too. I work not too far from you, in Howell. If you're looking for a club chapter near you, try the Central Michigan T's Chapter, MTFCI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

I am working on my F350 Dually today ...

It is a good idea to carry tools & spare parts for any vehicle you drive unless it is newer and under warranty with good roadside assistance.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

My Good Friend Mr. Murphy has proven to me that no matter what tools or parts you take on a trip will not be the ones you need. But I keep trying to out guess him. &0(

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

The best tools I carry are a AAA card and a cell phone. Otherwise, a screwdriver, a couple adjustable wrenches, small hammer, pliers, pry bar, flashlight. Spare parts is another matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

There's only one way to be sure you have enough spares:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Jerrys got it. I also carry a spare carb. Borrowed on on a tour. Used my spare one time. I do drive a lot. Spare plugs are good also. Welcome to the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

If you have a non stock Model T ignition system carry whatever that is. The #1 thing that puts cars on the trouble trailer at the Texas T Party every year is failed coils on cars with distributors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Add electrical tape to any list....because bandaids won't stick to blood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

I always carry a small drop cloth in case I need to crawl under the car.

I also have a couple clean rags in the tool box that I carry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

A fire extinguisher is the first thing that should be on your lists. You can deal with a break down later but a fire should probably get attention quick.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Cable ties and Ultra Black RTV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Royce - You said,...."failed coil(s) on cars with distributors."

I would have thought that such failures would have more likely been the distributor,....not the coil. Or is that what you meant,....?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

No, the coils go tango uniform. One guy had broken down due to a failed coil the year previous so he brought a spare coil. He burned out one coil on the first day and a second coil the second day, averaging about 100 miles per coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Royce:

"tango uniform"

I've never seen nor heard that expression prior to your post, but I do like it!

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

Matt - Welcome to the forum! This will sound like kind of a "wise guy" answer to your question, however, I'm actually quite serious. You need to join a "T" club in your area, and carry a cell phone and copy of club roster with phone numbers and addresses.

Oops! I now see that that's already been mentioned, but in addition to a roadside assistance plan, the cell phone and club roster is still a good idea.

I carry a little cheapie Harbor Freight tool kit that has most of the basic tools you might find handy and I think I only paid about $29.95 for it. Also, a roll of tape, a small roll of "handy wire", short length of electrical wire and a little solderless terminal kit & crimper tool is a good idea too. FWIW,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Cotter pins, several nuts that fit the front ends parts and the rear ones as well.
Clevis pins
Extra wheel nuts
Hand cleaner.
Tire pump and/or an air tank.
I mention the nuts because someone on a recent tour had a nut on one of the king pins and and one on the front shackles fall off, probably because they weren't cotter pinned, but you never know what might happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

I have a friend that just bought a 45 foot trailer to go on the tours we have in the club. He was using a 36 footer to carry another car (as a spare). That wasn't always successful so he now can haul a spare for the spare. This has GOT to stop somewhere!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Lighten your load.

Carry an American Express Card.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Will Brown,

Sent you a PM. Please read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

This question always gets a wide variety of responses. At one end of the spectrum are the folks who pack almost enough tools and spare parts to rebuild an engine at the side of the road. At the other end are those who carry only a cell phone and a credit card. Most, like me, are somewhere in between.

Here's one of the more elaborate lists:
baling wire, band linings, bands lined and ready to go, bearing scraper & Prussian blue, bendix key, bendix spring , breaker bar, can & brush for washing parts, carburetor gasket set, cell phone, chocks, clevis pin (with the end bevelled), clip leads, cloth rags, club roster, coil, conrod, cotter pins, coveralls, crank pin, crowbar, duct tape, electric wire, electrical tape, exhaust nut wrench, fan belt, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, flashlight, Ford spanner, freeze plug, front wheel inner bearing, front wheel outer bearings, gas can, gasket paper & scissors, generator cutout, grease gun, grease, grinding paste, hacksaw & blades, hammer, hand cleaner, head light bulb, imperial spanners, inner tube repair patches, jack, key (spare), lighter, lug nut and bolt, maps, NH (spare), nuts and bolts selection, oil, paper towels, petcock, pint of 600W, piston, pliers, pulley pin, putty knife, radiator cap, rear axle, rear engine mounts, rear hub puller, roller spring, screwdrivers, Silastic, spare tire, spark plug, tail light bulb, tarp, timer, timer oil, tire pump, tire tools, torque wrench, tow strap, tubes, valve keeper, valve pins, valves, Vise Grips, vise (clamps to the running board) voltmeter, water, wrenches (combination set & sockets)

One thing not listed there is an item I was glad I had with me: running board cans with extra fuel. It feels good to have those when you sputter to a stop five miles from the next filling station.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:02 am:

I'm serious - A credit card and your AAA plus card. Richard Eagle's post is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 02:50 am:

Thank you everyone this is very helpful. I like Tims idea of just bring a spare T on a trailer. Wonder if the wife will go for that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 02:56 am:

Ya Tim moore fire extinguisher is one of the first things I got it's going right in a spot I can reach quick. I got a good deal on a 3 pack of extinguishers so some of my other cars are getting one too. Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 11:52 am:

I dunno about carrying lots of spare parts . . . pretty soon you'd need a trailer to haul everything you think you might ever need. One problem is that with all of a model T's vital workings going on their second century, failures are likely somewhat different than what left the T driver at the side of the road in 1920. Still, the best cure is prevention, make sure your beast is in top form before you hit the road, and pack a healthy measure of optimism and faith.

I'd say the "bare minimum" would be what the "long rider" of the '20's would pack - spare tire(s) tube(s), patch kit, tire irons, and jack. The Ford issue tool kit, plus a good socket set, and a couple of different sized screw-drivers, BALING WIRE !! - don't forget spare oil, water and gasoline - there's a good reason why those running board triple-cannister sets were so popular.
Add some leather belt to your kit, make sure you have a good, sharp knife, you should be ready for anything.

If you're inventive, barring a major failure like a broken axel or crank-shaft, theory is you can fix most anything wrong with the above stuff at the side of the road. If not, there's always the cell-phone . . . so long as you have service !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

For a one day local tour I just carry the basic ignition spares, fan belt and a few other small parts that will fit nicely in the tool box or under the seat. For an out of town multi day tour, then you may want to consider the large items, spare generator, starter bendix, extra tubes, tire, oil. These things you just keep in your tow vehicle for a repair that night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

I carry a six pack on ice and a bag of pretzels so I have something to do while I'm waiting for the tow truck. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

Welcome Matt, be more careful Model Tier's end up doing a lot of crazy things.

Read this post to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/698931.html?1480778800

Tim, I'm surprised the front TT has any traction at all with the 2nd TT set on that trailer the way it is.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

John Saylor hit the nail on the head. It depends on what you're a doin'. If you're not venturing too far from home, don't worry about tons of tools and parts. If you could call someone and get a tow home, or better yet, a ride on a trailer, you'd probably rather fix it at home in your own shop and your own schedule. Of course, if you're driving cross country, more planning is prudent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Congrats on the T and being a new member to the form. Lot of people on the forum with lots of knowledge about model T s. I appreciate the opinions and tech questions on the forum. Enjoy! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Welcome and may you long enjoy the Model T Ford experience. All I will add to the above advice is the notion that you will be well served to bring with you all the model T familiarity and knowledge of your car you can possible acquire. Do so by getting intimately familiar with your car inside, out, under and over. Don't assume any sub-assembly is road ready. Check and adjust each part of the car so you will know for sure. Then, don't fall into the feeling of..."I tightened, adjusted that part last year, so it must still be fine..." You will be surprised what can come loose over a few miles. Remember, these cars required continuous upkeep even when new.

Enjoy the drive and the learning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Will, that second photo is about the scariest photo I've seen here. Kind of reminds me of the tour when Lee broke his Ruckstell and slammed into the back end of my pickup. We got stopped and off the road right before a dramatic winding steeply descending ridge.... it's about 6 years now and still can't get him to fix that car.

I may have missed it in previous posts, I carry a 20 foot tow strap. My car has come home towed, has come down the last part of a steep hill hanging IN FRONT of another car when I burned out all 3 bands. I have even pulled a 4WD Jeep out of a snow drift with my 1913 T!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Timothy, While checking out some aircraft instruments returned for repair I came across one failure write up "Went tits up on flight deck." Must have been a Viet Nam thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Can't understand the problem with coils (used with distributor ign. systems) going bad so often. Failed coils were a rare thing on the old dist. systems. I cannot remember having any fail on a car that I had owned beginning in about 1954. Are the ones failing off-shore production?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

Made in China. Printed on the outside it says not to be used with external resistor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

I once sent in a cartoon to the Model A club showing guys gathering for a tour, and one guy has a complete engine strapped to his luggage rack on the rear of his car, he's saying, "Well, you told me to bring plenty of spare parts!"
Maybe that wasn't so far from the truth!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration