Getting titled in Houston, Texas?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Getting titled in Houston, Texas?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

If anyone has recently titled a T in Houston, Texas, please let me know the process, what I will need, and where to go. Current T has nothing but a bill of sale. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

You will have to take the car to a state inspection station. The car will have to have operable lights, only the ones that came on the car when new. You will have to get a state inspection accomplished. This will cost $6.

You will need your bill of sale and a current insurance card with the car's VIN on it. You must bring a copy of the receipt for the state inspection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Where do you go after passing inspection?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

I live in Houston. Been there, done that. If you have a Space City Roster, look me up. Jerry Davis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:30 am:

I have a horn button but no horn. Do I have to have a horn to pass inspection? My boys want an ooga horn. Is there a good, inexpensive one that is easily mountable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:38 am:

Ignacio, Unless you want to wait for the next swap meets in Texas (and the only ones in the Houston area are put on by the Rod Clubs), check Ebay for a used one. There's usually a bunch at auction at any one time. I have been told you bought your car just to have fun with, so I know that authenticity isn't a concern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 06:32 am:

After passing inspection you go to the county tax office to get the title application and plates.

You do have to have a functional horn since the car had one when new. The engine does not have to run, but the brakes have to work. If you have a windshield wiper it must work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

What is the quickest to get, cheapest 6v horn I can get that will work to get me inspection passed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 10:06 am:

There are lots of them on Amazon and eBay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 10:09 am:

I wonder if this would be legal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Bike-Electronic-Bell-Loud-Horn-Cycling-Hooter-S iren-360-Rotation-V6V2-/131942106007?var=&hash=item1eb85cc397:m:mIZLjBMCAVA7DMdX wTflkcQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

Would a 6v one like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Empi-707924371956-6-Volt-Horn-Each/dp/B003KKJ7PG/ref=sr_1 _cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1481311674&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=6+volt+horn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Sure, why not? It will get you by for inspection and licensing for now.

It probably won't sound like a Model T horn, and it doesn't look like a Model T horn, so if or when you get more serious about returning your T to stock you will have to replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

or even this one?

https://smile.amazon.com/AutoLoc-HORN22-Horn-Volt-Ooogah/dp/B00MHUWEPU/ref=sr_1_ 5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1481312655&sr=1-5&keywords=6+volt+horn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

In my opinion, if you're going to spend that much on a horn, you might as well buy a real Model T horn, either from one of the vendors or by advertising for one on the classifieds. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Many times, a 12 volt cheap car horn will work on a 6 volt system. The sound is pretty pathetic, but it does work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

When I went to get an inspection sticker in Texas, the inspector insisted he had to drive the car. His boss had a fit and gave me the sticker. I had been stopped earlier for having no plates or sticker. Never mind I'm sitting on the gas tank with no body, no lights and no windshield to put a sticker on if I had one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:09 am:

I am not seeing a place to run the horn wire down the steering column? Is it 14 gauge wire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Go online to the Texas Highway Dept, Title Division. The entire process is spelled out. You'll need safety glass, working horn, lights,brakes, and your vin # stamped into the frame where the inspecting officer can see it. Pictures will help but it's what the inspecting officer see's that counts. The HWY dept can direct you to an inspecting officer. There are many different titles you can get but it's all spelled out in the info you'll get from the hwy dept.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:30 am:

Wire runs inside tube under the steering column

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/111243.html?1256171746

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Jerry,

He does not need a VIN stamped on the frame. I've titled several Model T's in Texas recently including one in April of this year, the engine number is the VIN.

Safety glass is also not something anyone looks for or asks about, although it is certainly on all of my cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:26 am:

"Wire runs inside tube under steering column", unless the spot welds have popped loose or the tube has purposely been removed by a previous owner. I have one column that the top two tubes on the tube have broken loose from their spot weld.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

If they all had a tube the wire runs inside of under the steering column, sadly mine is gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

The horn can be very cheap and simple:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

Royce, Just been there and done that. The inspecting officer wanted to see the vin # on the frame. Forget what was on the motor. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Royce, Just been there and done that. The inspecting officer wanted to see the vin # on the frame. Forget what was on the motor. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Jerry,

I've been there and done that too. Inspector asked where is the BVIN. I open the hood and point at the engine. Never went any further than that. Got five T's in my garage with Texas plates and titles. Sold two other T's this year. All done the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Ignacio: Seems to me that the DPS in different locations may have other procedures than in Houston. My experience about 2 years ago with a Model A Ford: (1). Took a bill of sale to the DPS in Houston at 4545 Dacoma St., Houston, Texas 77092 (713-683-0541). When I asked them if that would get me a Texas title I was told that it wouldn't so they gave me a rejection letter. I think there was a fee of $10.00 for the letter. I was told that's what would happen. I was there, maybe 10 minutes total. (2). I took the rejection letter to my insurance agent in Conroe. I showed them the letter from DPS and they issued a bond to cover a title. Cost me $100.00. The bond is good for $6,000.00 which covers the possibility of someone challenging a new title. The $6,000.00 amount is set by the Texas State Board of Insurance. (3). I took the bond and rejection letter to our Tax Assessor's office and completed their paper work and was issued a title in a few days. No body ever looked at the car or asked if there was a horn. The car was in my garage at home the whole time. A Texas title issued under those circumstances has the word, "Bonded Title" on the face of the title. If you keep the car and no body challenges your title within 3 years then you can go back to the Tax office and, for a $30.00 fee, have that removed. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hurst Barbee on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

I am surprised that none of these people would tell you that if you get an Antique plate in Texas that no state inspection is required.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 12:24 am:

Hey I put on this horn, https://www.amazon.com/Empi-707924371956-6-Volt-Horn-Each/dp/B003KKJ7PG/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1481311674&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=6+volt+horn electric taped black 14 gauge wires to the underside of the steering column and it works! Looks ok too, kind of steam-punkish. Loud enough for me.

6v modern horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 10:00 am:

The original post question was what do I need to do to get a title for my T if I only have a 'bill of sale'. You don't have to get it inspected first to get a title. Some folks may go that route but not everybody.

To get a title for a antique car in Texas (25 years or older) can be a real hassle.

The best way is to get a bonded title. It saves time and a LOT of undue hassle.

These folks will get the necessary paper work together that will be needed to get it. The fee can be anywhere between 100-300.OO depending on the situation.

The DMV inspection is necessary only to see if the vehicle has been stolen and that's it. The local DMV officer here in Central Texas informed me of this when I had my 2 old cars inspected there.

After that I took the bonded title paperwork to the tax office and got the antique plates for the 2 cars I got the bonded titles for.
The titles arrived in the mail a few weeks later.

If you use the antique plates you don't need a state inspection. You are limited in your driving to parades, going to car shows and events.

If you have a state inspection you can drive anywhere you want to.

Classicautotitle in Dallas is who I went through to get my bonded titles.. I did everything over the phone.

There are bonded title services in Houston that deal with old and antique cars. Do a search on the net and there are several.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 10:14 am:

As of this year John yes you have to get any car, truck, motorcycle or trailer safety inspected once in order to get a title if the car has not previously been titled in Texas. A bonded title won't change this. Been there done that got the T shirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

Okay got my notarized bill of sale, insurance, and safety inspection paper done and will try the DMV tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 07:50 am:

Did you get it running with that NH carb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

@Anthony, unfortunately no. No difference, actually the NH was worse than the Kingston L4. Clint Allred came by and looked it over. We are on the bad timer theory right now but I doubt that one after a cleanup and some testing and back to the worn motor 25 lbs/cylinder maybe coils need tweaking theory. I can get your carb back to you soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

So I went to the Dacoma street DMV office they directed me to Mickey Leeland DMV on Shepherd then they directed me to the DMV office on 2110 E Governors Cir, Houston, TX 77092 where I received my rejection letter to get my Surety bond. So I am driving out of the parking lot and there is a bandit sign that says 'Surety Bond' on 2012 Governors Cir so I say 'sure!' drop in, got my bond on the spot for $125 and now it is back over to Mickey Leeland for my plates and title. Not bad I think for 1 day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

And I thought the CA DMV was a racket! Now I have to go through my paperwork here, as I don't recall getting a "non-op" notice for my model A in the past few years. Uh OH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

Ignacio, when you got you safety inspection did they check your brakes or did they ask you about them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:30 am:

Yes they did ask about brakes and said they needed to drive it but then looked at the 3 pedals and controls with me saying "any of you guys know how to drive one of these?" and took my word for it. That was after we did demonstrate the brakes in the parking lot by pushing it and making it stop.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration