What about JB Weld ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What about JB Weld ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

Like most of us, I've used JB Weld to fix the "impossible" - mostly on farm equipment - not on my Model T as yet. I'm considering using it to fix some detail parts on my T, mainly because I'm loth to risk soldering and/or welding distorting a part, or making it unusable.

My question is whether JB Weld is a "reversible" fix . . . that is, at some later point, could it be successfully removed to make a better repair ? I've never tried to get rid of the stuff.

I'd also welcome some stories on what all you fellers have used JB Weld for on your Ts, and how the repairs aged.

Thanks much for your replies !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

It's definitely hard to remove if your just try chipping it off...

However, if you've used it an a part that is not sensitive to heat, just get your blowtorch on it and it will come right off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

Makes a delicious dessert topping !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Oh! And as for stories. I've used it to repair a crack in the water jacket of my cylinder head. I veed it out with a Dremel, filled it with JB-Weld, and sanded it smooth the next day. Works great, and doesn't leak.

I've also repaired my radiator (in multiple places) with JB-weld. Haven't had any issues with it. I call it the "holy radiator." Tell me, if you fill a holy radiator with water, does it become holy water? :-)

Just a note about the stuff. Make sure use the original JB-weld, you know, the one that takes all day to cure. It is much better and stronger than the quick-setting stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

RICH ; here are some pictures what I did with J B WELD
Toon.
143R
144R
146R
147R
192R
195R
197R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

The previous Caretaker of SaraJane used it to repair a crack in the block (thankfully T engine cooling systems are zero pressure) I have been assigned caretaker status since 2011 have put about 8000 miles on her and it is still holding and not leaking. Good stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Its good stuff as advertised. It can be used in a lot of different ways. A good rule of thumb is to always clean the area where it will be used to make the repair. I know of a T engine rebuilder who has seen more than a few T engines come into his shop and have JB-Weld repairs on them that were still holding.
And of course there are some who wont use it no matter what.

All I can say is that's its worked for me on gas tanks, cracked blocks and a few other things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

I have a Continental flat head on my gas welder that has a big water jacket crack repair with JB Weld that has held for over 30 years. Good stuff. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

I routinely use JB Weld to set the 3rd cam bearing, the upper DS bushing and the spindle bushings. Never a problem. Have also used it to repair cracks in water pumps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

It's good stuff, but it's not a miracle cure for everything. I've seen the result of its being used to hold in loose front wheel bearing cups. The result was, crumbled bits of JBW everywhere in the bearing and a loose cup. It couldn't stand the compressive load on it and it crumbled.

Whenever you decide to use it, ask yourself, "If this stuff fails, how big a mess is it going to be to get it out of there and solder/weld/etc. later?"

Overall, I really like the stuff. Just don't have unrealistic expectations of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

I have used it with good results. Cleanliness is important in preparation. However my neighbor runs a welding shop and says a lot of his business is fixing things that J B Weld didn't work on.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration