Peerless radiator shell question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Peerless radiator shell question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Why would anyone want to replace their radiator shell with a Peerless shell back in the Model T days?
Were the shells cheap? Were they part of a package deal with a new radiator?
I am just wondering because if you needed a new radiator you wouldn't necessarily need a new shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Herb

Peerless was a well advertised brand of replacement radiator for Fords.

In the brass era, and later in the steel era, their radiators came with shells with name imprint to advertise too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

Probably the same as the aftermarket bumper kits seen on so many imports in the early 2000's: owners want to modify their cars to stand out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 08:16 am:

I have the shell on a regular radiator. Is is a great conversation piece. A fellow told me his Grandfather had a Peerless just like that. I'm sure there were folks who would be happy for anything to make their Ford look a little different than all the rest.

The '17-'19 version above hasn't got the nickeled name like the later version. I have seen some with the name pressed in.

Mine is a low radiator. Has anyone seen these in the high radiator style?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

I have a Peerless shell, $75.00 plus shipping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

I was thinking this name sounded familiar. Was there any connection of these to the Peerless Motor Car Co. of Cleveland, OH? Wikipedia claims the cars were built from 1900 to 1931-32. I looked at some pictures on the Google search, can't see any cars that have this type of design. If not, I wonder how they managed to 'borrow' the name?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

My "Peerless" shell was made by the "Corcoran Mfg Co. Cinti, Ohio". That was more likely connected to "The Corcoran Brown Lamp Company, Cincinnati, Ohio"
The Peerless Motor Company was in Cleveland, Ohio. I don't know if they were related. There was also a Geiser Manufacturing Company in Marylandals that produced a "Peerless" steam tractor.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Sorry, Maryland.
(Typing is a second language to me.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Thanks Richard! Second language? Yes, I know how that is. And if you knew how often I reach for the dictionary!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Rich, I recall not long after you put that shell on your speedster some bystander commented to his friend that it wasn't a Ford, it was a "Peerless" ! (good laugh !)

I'm kinda partial to the idea that since Peerless was an early prestige make, putting the name on the shell for a radiator replacement was a "feel good" moment for the Ford owner ? I'm thinking of the sequence in that Harold Lloyd movie that was posted a few days ago, where he passes a Pierce-Arrow, and looks pretty smug about it. Early on, much was made of "The Three P's" - Packard, Pierce-Arrow and Peerless, sort of like Lincoln, Cadillac and Imperial were in the late 50's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

The word peerless can be for anything that has no equal. In other words it is the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Jim is correct. It "has no equal" or "has no peers"... Lots of items have used the name "Peerless" thru the years. It gives great prestige to the product. The Peerless car is usually what car guys think of but from a advertising point of view the car has nothing to do with it. (well maybe to car guys it does)

Here are a couple pics of my Peerless shell Im using on the speedster project. The second pic shows the NOS hood blanket I got to keep the "old girl" warm .. :-) have fun and be safe Donnie Brown .......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Have run both a brass and low peerless radiator on my T's for what it's worth work far better the the ford product in simular condition

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:42 am:

I had a Peerless honeycomb radiator and shell on my old speedster. Looked spiffy and the original core was fine ... ran without a water pump with no problem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration