Kingston L4 leftover gaskets?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Kingston L4 leftover gaskets?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

So I put in Langs Kingston L4 float chamber, mixing chamber and flange gasket in. I have the felt one and probably the float valve seat left over. See the picture? I think one of these gaskets was incidentally in the envelope. I don't know where these go and do I care?

The mixing chamber and flange gaskets where so far gone on my carb it was clear that's why the thing was leaking.

gaskets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

The thick felt piece is for the fuel supply line--it's what was originally used, not a compression sleeve. one of the others might be a spare gasket for the float seat to help adjust the float level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Does the felt piece go into he body of the carb where the fuel line attaches?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

No, it fits inside the fuel line but.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

Inside the fuel line compression nut, the fuel line through the small hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

What does the fuel line compression nut look like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

Like this. The felt or neoprene packing fits onto the fuel line after the nut, then the nut is tightened onto the carburetor fitting, compressing the packing and making a seal.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Oops! Didn't put it on. Thanks! -- IV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

The other 2 are bowl nut gaskets the l-4 had two size nuts to hold the bowl on, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

How to smush all that felt into the nut? I tried it and a bunch hangs out. I don't know how to get it onto the threads?

Felt and Kingston L4 carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Needle valve seat has a hairline crack and is leaking. What to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

Do this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-Model-T-Ford-carburetor-/122262057036?hash=item1 c7762f04c:g:xwMAAOSwLN5WjpFJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

Ignacio, I'm probly WAY too late since you found a cracked valve seat but on the felt seal issue; do I see a brass ferrule/compression fitting already on the fuel line hiding inside the nut in that pic?
Dumb question perhaps. Is it the removable brass seat that has the crack?
Royce sure presents an easy method to fix that carb. :-)

(Message edited by Duey_C on December 09, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

I soak/saturate my felts, when used, with motor oil prior to installing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

I pulled about 1/3rd of the felt off and it went in ok. Looks like I have bigger problems with the cracked needle valve seat.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration